apple3.14

I found a few interesting things at a road cut near Brady TX that I had went to with the Austin Paleontological society. I found a layer that had about 140 starfish and in the same area some of the layers had pieces of petrified wood and what looks like tiny leaves. Any info is appreciated Thanks 

20211205_144343.jpg

20211123_131139.jpg

20211123_131302.jpg

20211123_131315.jpg

20211123_131335.jpg

20211123_142719.jpg

20211123_144044.jpg

20211205_150201.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The “leaves” almost remind me of the underside of a starfish with their small little tube feet. I’d think it odd to find starfish and leaves together, though if a different layer could potentially be a different formation and age… interested to see what others have to say.

• I Agree 3

3 hours ago, connorp said:

The "starfish" look to be resting traces

I agree, they are Asteriacites (ichnofossil); nice find! :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, marguy said:

I agree, they are Asteriacites (ichnofossil); nice find! :tiphat:

I don’t think these ichnofossils are true Asteriacites. The number of rays are too variable and some aren’t even star shaped. 

22 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I don’t think these ichnofossils are true Asteriacites. The number of rays are too variable and some aren’t even star shaped. 

I think Asteriacites is a reasonable call, as they are impressions they can be very variable due to movement of the starfish and overprinting can occur.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Thank you A.C. for your help. I had the same thought about maybe being the bottom of a starfish arm but the way they were shaped they looked more like leaves. That having been said all the pieces having starfish traces were upside-down being on the bottom of the rock as I picked them up. Also most were not in the same layer

Thanks all. All the starfish traces were found in 1 plane or layer that was upside-down being on the under side of the rock but if you went up or down 1 or 2 inches you could find chrinoids and brachiopods or petrified wood. I was wondering if they are all trace fossils and how to determine trace or not. If 2 overlap and the area that overlaps is raised can it still be a trace? I have a couple from a different location that overlap.