Please help... is it concretion ?

lovec

The last picture doesn't show any bone structure, so it definitely isn't bone. Not sure what it is though. 

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

I think it could be a trace fossil. I've found similar ones in the Upper Cretaceous sediments in Romania.

• I Agree 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

If the finding was found in marine deposits, it is very likely that they are internal molds of galleries of some type of crustacean. 

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

If the finding was found in marine deposits, it is very likely that they are internal molds of galleries of some type of crustacean. 

Wouldn't crustacean burrows have a rougher surface texture. This looks more smoothly linear to me, as if made by a body without claws.

47 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Wouldn't crustacean burrows have a rougher surface texture. This looks more smoothly linear to me, as if made by a body without claws.

Not precisely.
They are galleries dug out of the sand, which later solidifies.

these photos are from Gyrolithes Vidali. Pliocene.IMG_20200927_105827333_HDR.thumb.jpg.bba8ed8177f8feda8196b818607f2461.jpgIMG_20200927_105834209_HDR.thumb.jpg.7251b323cdd654e728af913c630fc10f.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

Interesting examples. I think the claw marks are in this though. They are just preserved very faintly in a coloration pattern. I don't see such a pattern on the post.

20 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

Not precisely.
They are galleries dug out of the sand, which later solidifies.

these photos are from Gyrolithes Vidali. Pliocene.IMG_20200927_105827333_HDR.thumb.jpg.bba8ed8177f8feda8196b818607f2461.jpgIMG_20200927_105834209_HDR.thumb.jpg.7251b323cdd654e728af913c630fc10f.jpg

Wish I could find a Gyrolithes one day...:zen:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 1/8/2022 at 12:56 AM, Rockwood said:

Interesting examples. I think the claw marks are in this though. They are just preserved very faintly in a coloration pattern. I don't see such a pattern on the post.

Well, I don't know to what extent you could be right, but we are talking about a gallery fill, with a certain type of mineral material (internal mold) in which leaks and oxidations can intervene, therefore I have my doubts about what you think you see in that coloring pattern.
I don't think it's worth having a debate about this, I just said it could possibly be, but I can't say.

Therefore it would be better to leave this in the answer of         @abyssunder ( I think it could be a trace fossil ).  :cool07:

13 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Wish I could find a Gyrolithes one day...:zen:

Yes, I would also like to have a complete piece like the one in the photo (it is from the small museum in my city).
I have a certain outcrop from the Pliocene near where I live, where there is a large number in the landslide areas, but they are so fragile that the fragments that exist are only one spiral , or less :Cry: