Mahantango Ammonoids- the complete guide

Bringing Fossils to Life

Here is the complete guide to the Mahantango ammonoids! Koenenites is only included because of two specimens (found by my friend and I) from Swatara Gap, which includes some Mahantango strata according to HynerpetonHunter. Tornoceras is the most common, Koenenites the rarest. Enjoy!

1066464648_MahantangoAmmonoids.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

I'd be interested to see good photos of the specimens you have collected of these. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'd be interested to see good photos of the specimens you have collected of these. 

I would too. Recently I've acquired an  interest. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Nice specimens! I just took pictures of my Koenenites, and here they are. If you are skeptical, check the suture lines and you will see the main saddle comes sooner instead of later; also there is no other Devonian ammonoid around with such a sharp keel (it is sharp to the touch). Unfortunately, The specimen has pyrites disease, and when I had recently identified it as an ammonoid (thanks to HynerpetonHunter), I unsuspectingly brushed part of the umbilicus away. It has only gotten worse, and I found not to use Elmer's glue on specimens that might be of value. Is there another inexpensive way of getting rid of it? I have used the same brush on all my fossils, and don't want pyrites disease spreading everywhere. Do you have any suggestions?

The second and third to last are not only for scale but also to compare with an Agoniatites from Seven Stars quarry.

I have also included my reconstruction of Koenenites.

IMG_20220109_085557346_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220109_173843823_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220109_173859020_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220110_090500379.jpg

IMG_20220110_091023342.jpg

IMG_20220110_091134342.jpg

Koenenites reconstruction done.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The fourth picture is the impression of where the "end of the shell" is missing, showing the suture from higher up in the venter ("end of the shell" because if you look on the left of most of the picture you will see the impression and part of the original shell from the next whorl, showing that the whole shell was likely around 2.5 cm across in life).

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting! I didn't know there were goniatites from Seudberg. I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm out there.

Great stuff.  I don’t get my hands in the Devonian often, but I found similar in a Needmore road cut a dozen years ago or more.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 5 months later...

I just made a better ID poster - with updated reconstructions! here it is:191843115_HamiltonGroupAmmonoids.thumb.png.23178888fa58526030332776f26a70ab.png

• Enjoyed 3

• 4 months later...

Amazing! Would you up for sharing your template (Creative Commons perhaps) so that the rest of us can create our own matching cephalopod faunal graphics while giving you credit for the design elements?

By template, what do you mean? I can post important resources I used, but I ultimately draw these on paper before digitizing them. I also use Paint.net, a raster program, and the different layers I use can only be differentiated when they are in Pant.net format, which only Paint.net can open. What do you want to access?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, it looked so clean I thought it was in some vector format. Really I just wish there were a guide like this for every fossil fauna, or at least every cephalopod fauna. And since there isn't, I'm in search of streamlined ways of creating them. thanks for the info on your process.

Edited by pefty
more thoughts :)