Otodus, Cretolamna, Serratalamna or something else?

R0b

Recently I acquired a bulk lot of Moroccan shark teeth after doing some reading and a lot of sorting. I have more questions than identifications. 

To keep it simple I stuck with the “square rooted teeth for the first round.

I’ve come up with five categories 

1 two cusplets - Serratalamna?

2 multiple cusplets but small - ?

3 two cusplets - Cretolamna?

4 two cusplets and no or very weak transversal groove - Otudus?

5 strongly reduced cusplets - ?

If other pictures are useful let me know.

3F6DC453-A4CD-43FD-97E3-754F30A48B04.jpeg

1754F0EF-9D78-42CF-B19D-497D4FCC9103.jpeg

Edited by R0b

With the purchase I received late Cretaceous as the age and the location was Oued Zem / Khouribga. But also it was mentioned that the fossils have been found over five layers so maybe the age is more broad. First I started with the publication from Arambourg (1952) but I also started looking at http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollection/sharkteeth list totaal/totaal sharteeth list.htm

Row 1 the left tooth I think could be Brachycarcharias atlasi

Row 4 looks more like Cretolamna indet.

Row 5 I have now identified as Striatolamia, assigning a species is challenging. If correct this stretches the age to include Thanetian - Paleocene. Does that make sense?

Leaving it at that for now to see if I start to get closer to correct identifications.

edit: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrej-Gajic/publication/270105496_Frequency_taxonomy_and_morphology_of_different_shark_taxa_of_Paleogene_and_Cretaceous_from_Morocco_North_Africa/links/54a081dc0cf256bf8bae1a69/Frequency-taxonomy-and-morphology-of-different-shark-taxa-of-Paleogene-and-Cretaceous-from-Morocco-North-Africa.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Edited by R0b

• 2 weeks later...

Took some better pictures of a few teeth is it possible to confirm Striatolamia and is a species level id possible when not knowing the exact age. The tooth on the right stands with different cusplets. @Praefectus @Al Dente

4F392B2E-C733-4EB9-971F-F49775601A51.jpeg

92EC6EDF-8FA2-4AE4-91A5-40EBA7A546CE.jpeg

1167DCB7-21FC-4933-86EB-AA9BB926E491.jpeg

96B7537C-BF66-43EC-B2B9-C34A65CCD33C.jpeg

97F41EA8-B6D2-4315-A938-8590FAC883BD.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Hi @R0b. I am not super great at telling sand tiger shark teeth apart. I think your middle tooth may be a different species than the ones on the left and right. Striatolamia sp. seems like a good guess for the teeth on the sides, but I am not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in. 

• Thank You 1

15 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Hi @R0b. I am not super great at telling sand tiger shark teeth apart. I think your middle tooth may be a different species than the ones on the left and right. Striatolamia sp. seems like a good guess for the teeth on the sides, but I am not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in. 

Thanks, I am fairly good in observing and categorising plants even differences within species (cultivated). But sharks with their differences between upper and lower and front to back is quite a challenge.

any thoughts who might be able to help?

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Otodus, Cretolamna, Serratalamna or something else?