Need help to identify what this is

Thorben Krähling

Found in Germany, sadly i don´t know if i found it where i live, in Hamm NRW, germany or while i was visting either the north or east sea (Nordsee/Ostsee).

Had it since I was a small child and was always fascinated by it but couldnt find out, what it is. Because I have it in my possession for about 15 years, i cant really tell much more about location or anthing else, just that it looks like an egg to me, but that might be what I want it to be. its about 6x3x2,5cm big, one side is almost flat with some dark spots and a crack i think going through it. the other side looks like an egg, but has a crater on it. Between the flat and the convex is a dark grey border around 1mm thick that goes around the whole thing.

IMG_20220111_114257.jpg

IMG_20220111_114315.jpg

IMG_20220111_114323.jpg

IMG_20220111_114342.jpg

IMG_20220111_114437.jpg

IMG_20220111_114501.jpg

IMG_20220111_114510.jpg

IMG_20220111_114517.jpg

IMG_20220111_114621.jpg

IMG_20220111_114634.jpg

IMG_20220111_114648.jpg

IMG_20220111_114837.jpg

IMG_20220111_114845.jpg

IMG_20220111_114857.jpg

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Sorry. I don't think this a fossil. Banded chert is what comes to mind.

may I ask, what featues make you think that? I know absolutely nothing about either fossiles or stones and want to learn more about it.

Hallo Thorben, wilkommen im Forum.

Some reasons this appears to be something similar to banded chert:

Chert is a kind of rock similar to flint (given you are in Germany I would call your stone banded flint or Feuerstein), which has a special way of breaking ("conchoidal") which fits the round hole in your specimen, where you can also see the banding.

To be a fossil, it would have to have biological structures like shell, bone, wood, which I cannot see in your specimen.

It does have a lot of interesting structures, but none that fit an organism I recognise.

On the other hand, nodules of flint or chert often form around fossils like for example sponges, maybe sea urchins and other marine creatures. In many cases the original shape is hard to see, or not at all.

The features that make your nodule interesting seem geological to me, that means I can see one thick layer and several layers that seem to have accumulated around something in that layer, maybe a fossil, maybe not. I would not recommend to break that nice piece though, as the chances of finding a recognizable fossil inside are rather low, and its nice as it is.

Schönen Gruß,

J

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I agree with the others. It looks to me that you can now say definitely that you found this on either the north sea or baltic coast, since you certainly would not be finding any flint in Hamm.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Feuerstein :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hallo Thorben, wilkommen im Forum.

Some reasons this appears to be something similar to banded chert:

Chert is a kind of rock similar to flint (given you are in Germany I would call your stone banded flint or Feuerstein), which has a special way of breaking ("conchoidal") which fits the round hole in your specimen, where you can also see the banding.

To be a fossil, it would have to have biological structures like shell, bone, wood, which I cannot see in your specimen.

It does have a lot of interesting structures, but none that fit an organism I recognise.

On the other hand, nodules of flint or chert often form around fossils like for example sponges, maybe sea urchins and other marine creatures. In many cases the original shape is hard to see, or not at all.

The features that make your nodule interesting seem geological to me, that means I can see one thick layer and several layers that seem to have accumulated around something in that layer, maybe a fossil, maybe not. I would not recommend to break that nice piece though, as the chances of finding a recognizable fossil inside are rather low, and its nice as it is.

Schönen Gruß,

J

Vielen lieben Dank!

one of my next questions would have been if I should open it up. But as you said its nice like it is. Thank you and thanks to everyone else for the quick help and nice answers. kinda sad that it isnt the dinosaur egg i was hoping for but happy to finally know what it is.

Schöne Grüße zurück,

T