Dean 43

It looks to me like part of a vertebrae, however, the photos are very blurry so it is a bit hard to be sure. Could you please provide some information about the general area it was found (State, near by town or formation would be useful)

• I Agree 1

Photos are much too blurry to be definitive, but I’m leaning towards it being a concretion or just a rock. I see no texture to indicate bone in the current photos. As stated by TigerEagle, please provide provenance, ie location, age, and any helpful information such as those. 

• I Agree 1

Very blurry on the photos - back off of the item a bit.

However, I have to agree that this looks more like a nodule or concretion, than a fossil bone.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ok im going to cut it in half i will send new pics . it looks like bone feels like bone but im not sure myself so who knows lets open it up.

Ok  it is bone.  Is it fossilized?, does it pass the burn test?  the thinness of the cortical bone would be ok for a vertebrae, but I cannt make the shape match;   I look at that very irregular surface and think wrist or ankle bone.  It really is beyond me.  @Boesse, @Harry Pristis

I personally think it's an ankle bone I thought vertebrate to begin with but what's it from not a horse not from a cow not from a donkey or from an elk or deer or bear or from a pig. I've never seen a bone like it I'm really stumped. It's got an odd shape to it. The only thing I haven't researched yet is whale I don't believe it is a whale sea lion I don't think so seal no it reminds me the texture of a beaver and has hairs on parts of the bone little black ones.

It past the burn test and i looked again no hairs on it my mistake .i also hit it against tile it tinged what other test is there that i can do .new to all this but it sure is a lot of fun learning.

If you're certain it's mineralized and you found it in Washington State, I almost wonder if mammoth ear bone is a possibility.

Maybe very unlikely, but it's a really unusually shaped bone.

Hi,

To me it looks as if some of the original surface was cut (or maybe eroded flat) to begin with.

I marked what I think are cut surfaces in white, red is your new cut as I understand it.

I think the upper smooth surface shows no corticalis in your cut, its spongiosa all the way.

So cutting it should have given you a feeling for how much it is mineralized?

Best Regards,

J

bone.jpg

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

well, darn... I hate when I am wrong.  But yes, once cut, it is certanly a bone.  But what...?  I have no idea?  Did it cut like modern bone or like a rock?