What was a bourlette's purpose?

DevilDog

I know the bourlette on a shark tooth is the chevron shaped material between the enamel and the root, but what was it actually? Clearly it is not root or enamel, but did it serve a specific purpose? Was it structural? An attachment point for a ligament? A conduit for nutrients into the tooth? That they seem to be only on mega-toothed shark teeth suggests something related to size? 

Any theories or ideas? 

Edited by DevilDog

This thread may help you.

• I found this Informative 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)