Help ID this????

DPepper1

Hello, I was gifted this fossil. All I know is that it was found in Tennessee. I believe it is a coral fossil but because of the 'stems' I can't find anything that matches it online. I know fossils cant be valued for price on here but if this is rare and I should contact someone about having it I would like to know. It is in limestone with quartz sparkles in the 'coral' pieces.

Thanks so much!

new.jpg

new1.jpg

This looks like possibly a fairly common Colonial Rugose coral.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Fossildude19, that was the closest match I found also. I just wasn't sure since most of those look like tiny craters and this looks like 'stems' coming out of holes. 

Hi DPepper1 and welcome to the forum.

Nice fossil, if nothing that the museums will want to take from you.

If you get the craters or the stems depends on the way of preservation.

sometimes its imprints, sometimes its the original shape, sometimes its imprints that have been filled again, or cavities in the original shape that have been filled with harder material and remain after the original substance is long gone. So it needs some getting used to recognizing the same type of fossil in different preservations.

best Regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley