Sjfriend

OK, on my few trips to the Latham Shale in the Marble Mountains of Southern California I have found a few things that I'm just not sure of. I will include any info before each photo.

Scale: little marks are 2mm, bigger numbered marks are cm

1: Ok, first I will include 2 photos of what I question as maybe trilobite hypostome. I haven't found any good illustrations of Olenellus hypostome. I've found probably 10 of these. They all look the same shape though many different sizes.

43859231_Lathamunkhypostome.thumb.jpg.3b651b1fddd7d32ce6c409af8fdb41ca.jpg

837721797_Lathamunkhypostome1.thumb.jpg.923887d6bc2ae55470905b4034574f4b.jpg

2: Next, I find a few of these each day. The cephalons from the trilobite species of this age tend to stay in one piece but this reminds me of the anterior lobe of a glabella. I have no other idea. It is round and inflated (about 4mm high) and will pop off the matrix.

1057732333_Lathamglabellabossmaybe.thumb.jpg.2e88528930e97a02571ff23b2965ed56.jpg

3: This one I can't nail down at all. Is it a worm or what????

119298221_Lathamunk.thumb.jpg.46768e8b559a7c1772447d59da3afe7d.jpg

4: This is a ? Looks kind of tooth-ish but I have no idea. I might try to get better photos when I find it again (still packed from my flights and driving)

1516656349_Lathamunk1.thumb.jpg.6790428a111665b1fe4ff6ddf018fb07.jpg

That is it. I've found at least a few of each of these except number 3. Thank you for your time and help.

I agree with your hunch that the first specimens in the list are hypostomes.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

24 minutes ago, connorp said:

4 might be a hyolith, would need closer pictures to be sure.

Will have to look at it when I can with that in mind. It is way different preservation then others I've found there which tend to be more of a flatter red mineral stain. Not so 3D. Shape is right though.

• 3 weeks later...

Specimen three is very interesting. Maybe an Anomalocaris appendage or some other kind of soft tissue creature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

1 hour ago, MarcusFossils said:

Specimen three is very interesting. Maybe an Anomalocaris appendage or some other kind of soft tissue creature.

This was a guess I had but wasn't gonna plant the seed. Was hoping for another to say it