Does this look like a good spot to look?

dramaguy11

I am not sure where to start looking, but this looked interesting. Not sure if there would be fossils in it, but like I said I have no clue. I am near Forest Falls CA.

image_50387457.JPG

image_50384897.JPG

image_50415873.JPG

Well, I suppose you could have a look at some of the fallen pieces and know for sure if there are fossils in them or not.

Part of what we do while prospecting is match our research of geologic bedrock of an area and good old fashioned field inspection.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It might help to use a geologic map such as https://macrostrat.org/.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Looks dangerous. Falling rocks are a real hazard. I would bring a hard hat and be very careful. Seriously.

• I Agree 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

This is what it says: abut the spot I sent pictures of. "The sedimentary formation consists of mudstone, sandstone, and conglomerate deposited in alluvial-fan, riverine, and lacustrine (lake) environments during the Miocene Epoch . Woodburne (1975) reviewed permissive evidence supporting a late Miocene age for the unit, but its age is not well established. Layered strata of the formation are beautifully exposed in roadcuts along State Route 38 in Mill Creek Canyon and in the canyon cliffs above the creek."

A local here posted a picture of what he says is a plant fossil from there. Attached.

965388037_ScreenShot2022-01-13at4_46_27PM.png

Would like to confirm:
It is veeeery dangerous!!!

You may try looking through the talus at the ends of the cut, where the wall isn´t that high. 

Yeah, fossils could be possible, but don´t expect too much, otherwise they would have been mentioned in the text you cited.

But: Fossils are there, where you find them!

Good luck!
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

I’m nervous just looking at the pictures and thinking about being below that. :unsure:

16 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Would like to confirm:
It is veeeery dangerous!!!

You may try looking through the talus at the ends of the cut, where the wall isn´t that high. 

Yeah, fossils could be possible, but don´t expect too much, otherwise they would have been mentioned in the text you cited.

But: Fossils are there, where you find them!

Good luck!
Franz Bernhard

Yeah I am defiantly not going to be hammering into that wall, I was just planning to look through the stuff that had fallen.

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I’m nervous just looking at the pictures and thinking about being below that. :unsure:

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Ditto. But there is a significant pile that has fallen and then been pushed up the road by a bulldozer, so I will look in that pile away from the wall.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, dramaguy11 said:

Ditto. But there is a significant pile that has fallen and then been pushed up the road by a bulldozer, so I will look in that pile away from the wall.

I think that’s a good idea. As much fun as fossil hunting is, please don’t endanger yourself. Sorry, I know it’s not my place, but I just tend to be a worrisome person. Stay safe and happy hunting, I hope you find some real treasures. :)