ThePhysicist

Hi y'all, found this partial tooth in micromatrix from the Triassic-aged Bull Canyon formation. Serration density looks to be 9-10 / mm on the dc. Could it be dinosaurian? 

IMG_2860.thumb.JPG.86b7f0084c80a0f831456e2cf8d6b5c3.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

For what it's worth, I've seen teeth like this from the Bull Canyon commercially sold as Coelophysis. Also, the teeth look like theropod teeth to me, but don't really have experience to base this one. May be @Troodon has something to add.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

It does have affinities to a theropod tooth but so much is unknown.

One publication, sorry info not at hand,  says the following:Screenshot_20220114-055232_Drive.thumb.jpg.9a245db86314a406954cc1661371fc08.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

One publication, sorry info not at hand,  says the following:

Found it: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S163106830300006X

• Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

5 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Interesting article! I think I'll save it for a read when I've got some more time, as I've seen very similar material come out of the French Lorraine as well...! :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett