Prognatodon currii 'slightly' restored

charlie3425

I just had another bad experience with the famous auction site wich I can not mention by name as I understand it. (Even my cat could find it in an encyclopedia though...)

This time I placed a quick bidding on a - as it was advertised - slightly restored big fully rooted tooth of a Prognatodon currii. To my exitement  I won the bidding. Taking a better look at the photo's of the item my doubts grew and on its arrival yesterdag my worries were allas confirmed. The tooth was firmly and totally cemented to the root with a mixture of sand and glue (in a colour nearly matching the fossil). Other breaklines in the root were cemented in the same way (this bothered me less).

How about that for a 'slight' restoration. It is possible that the root and crown are just parts of two different fossils. Impossible to know.

So I have this argument with the seller who claims the description mentions it is restorated and I should not expect any better for this price...

So be warned. Ask for more information before bidding and zoom in on the pics if possible. I will quit my account for that website now. Looking back I can say half of the items I won/bought on it caused me some form of dissapointment. I'll buy from experts only, I never had any problems with scientists and experienced people.

Should I give the seller a negative or neutral review? Or was I just too ignorant?

Happy to shake it off a bit over here. It's not about the money, it's the new crack in my trust that hurts a little.

IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

IMG_8595.jpg

Edited by charlie3425
Removed pricing and return cost details
  • I found this Informative 1

'It was life, Jim. But not as we know it.'

• charlie3425 changed the title to Prognatodon currii 'slightly' restored

This does not look like a slight restoration. This is a composite of a tooth crown and a root that most likely does not belong with it.

In theory it's possible that the two parts belong together and that the join was damaged and then "repaired". But this is highly unlikely since these almost always are composites of material that does not belong together.

• I Agree 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hi Charlie 

in the future you can post images on the TFF and ask some advice before buying .Did you pay with PayPal if so they maybe able to help you. You could forward this thread’s replies as evidence . Cheers Bobby 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Be honest in your review.  That's all you can really do.

Indeed... say what you said in your post here. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Sorry to say, but that tooth is heavily restored and probably a composite of a separate crown and root. Below is a picture of an unaltered Prognathodon currii tooth for reference. 

1820808896_271844977_940561269910401_3334493852311120330_n(1).jpg.5d68591ba4449100b181e7896b00560e.jpg

Unless they changed the rules, if the seller is a "pro"-seller (will be indicated next to their name), you should be able to argue for a return of the fossil citing expert testimony that this is not a "slight" restoration. Beware this should be done soon after receiving the item (within three days), otherwise the seller will receive payment and the site can no longer intervene. However, have a look at this option. The same happened to me once, and the above procedure saved me.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

9 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Unless they changed the rules, if the seller is a "pro"-seller (will be indicated next to their name), you should be able to argue for a return of the fossil citing expert testimony that this is not a "slight" restoration. Beware this should be done soon after receiving the item (within three days), otherwise the seller will receive payment and the site can no longer intervene. However, have a look at this option. The same happened to me once, and the above procedure saved me.

Thank you. The seller is not a 'pro', so I gave it a try and made a claim on the website. One can only try. I will post what happened later!

'It was life, Jim. But not as we know it.'