Sites near New Bern or Morehead/Beaufort area

Rocky998

So I know about Aurora being a very good dig site and I have been there. But I was looking for a more "natural" place to find fossils close by to New Bern NC (less than an hour away). Any help is very much appreciated! Also, this is off topic from this thread but I went to "add new" to collection on my phone and you need to have a category for your fossil (which is fine) but when I tapped one of the categories it didnt do anything... I could highlight words but not tap... So that's irritating

39 minutes ago, Rocky998 said:

So I know about Aurora being a very good dig site and I have been there. But I was looking for a more "natural" place to find fossils close by to New Bern NC (less than an hour away). Any help is very much appreciated! Also, this is off topic from this thread but I went to "add new" to collection on my phone and you need to have a category for your fossil (which is fine) but when I tapped one of the categories it didnt do anything... I could highlight words but not tap... So that's irritating

I have a tooth or two from a New Bern site but it might have been built on or made otherwise inaccessible since it was collected back in the 80's.  I haven't heard about other teeth from there in at least 20 years.  There are a few publications on North Carolina fossils so you should see what you can find online.  You might want to buy at least a couple of them for your own future reference.

You might find this at a local public library but more likely at a university earth/life sciences library:

https://www.amazon.com/Fossil-Collecting-North-Carolina-Bulletin/dp/B002PEP2U2

Also, check out this site:

https://ncfossilclub.org/publications/

Thanks! I'll definitely check those out! The site may have been built over since it was from the 80s but if you want to say, what was the site near to?

Moved to FOSSIL SITES>USA>NORTH CAROLINA.

• Thank You 1
1 hour ago, Rocky998 said:

Also, this is off topic from this thread but I went to "add new" to collection on my phone and you need to have a category for your fossil (which is fine) but when I tapped one of the categories it didnt do anything... I could highlight words but not tap... So that's irritating

@Rocky998 adding fossils to the Collections Museum is a delayed permission.  Collections is not a location to post random personal finds.  You may do that by creating your own personal Gallery album.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Rocky998  ... You may do that by creating your own personal Gallery album.  

Which is another, slightly delayed permission.

Post your fossils under Members Collections to start with.  ;)

• I Agree 1
  • Learned something new 1