A ton of fossils I need help identifying...

Rocky998

So, I have a nice collection of fossils ive found from 2 seperate trips to Aurora... I was told the straight and curved bones could be ribs (most likely dolphin), but I am unsure. I also have a 2-3 inch bone that lolks like it could be from a land animal. I also have 3 different vertebrates from something... One is medium-small, one is small, and then the other one is really small lol. Then, in the last picture and in the middle of the row... I have no idea what it could be, it looks like an imprimt of a plant maybe? I found another one and its red, but I forget where I put it... At the beginning of that same row it seems to be sharks teeth but their all on a row... And the last fossil on that row looks to be a dolphin tooth. (Sorry I know its a lot of fossils.... We can knock them out one at a time, right? :fingerscrossed:)

0114221617.jpg

0114221618.jpg

0114221620.jpg

0114221621.jpg

Edited by Rocky998
Forgot to add some things in

Maybe what's in the center of this pic is a puffer fish mouth plate fragment.

0114221621.thumb.jpg.0e905d9e18aae9c54007704975839421.thumb.jpg.7af087048339929a0b0d0913ac0c1946.jpg

• I Agree 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

44 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe what's in the center of this pic is a puffer fish mouth plate fragment.

WOW! I would have never guessed that... Thank you for that knowledge!

On the left of the second, maybe a shark vertebra ?

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

11 hours ago, Rocky998 said:

So, I have a nice collection of fossils ive found from 2 seperate trips to Aurora... I was told the straight and curved bones could be ribs (most likely dolphin), but I am unsure. I also have a 2-3 inch bone that lolks like it could be from a land animal. I also have 3 different vertebrates from something... One is medium-small, one is small, and then the other one is really small lol. Then, in the last picture and in the middle of the row... I have no idea what it could be, it looks like an imprimt of a plant maybe? I found another one and its red, but I forget where I put it... At the beginning of that same row it seems to be sharks teeth but their all on a row... And the last fossil on that row looks to be a dolphin tooth. (Sorry I know its a lot of fossils.... We can knock them out one at a time, right? :fingerscrossed:)

0114221617.jpg

Hi,

Bottom middle looks like a cetacean humerus to me.

Best regards,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

4 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Yes, likely Baleen whale,

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/19656-large-whale-humerus-from-north-carolina/

The 2 verts on the left of the 2nd photo look to be Sawfish,

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/99225-sawfish-vert/

Here are a couple of experts I have learned from.... @Al Dente @MarcoSr

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

Best regards,

J

24 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/19656-large-whale-humerus-from-north-carolina/

I am no expert and I am not dismissing the fact that it could be a whale humerus, but I looked at pictures of them and their all straight. My bone curves at a fairly sharp angle, I will try to get a pic of the curve later... But again, I am no expert, just forgot to mention the curve on that bone. I thank you both for the help! Much appreciated!

In the bottom photo, the left is a broken cow shark tooth, the middle looks like a puffer fish mouth plate, and the right is probably a dolphin or porpoise tooth.

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Parthicus said:

In the bottom photo, the left is a broken cow shark tooth, the middle looks like a puffer fish mouth plate, and the right is probably a dolphin or porpoise tooth.

Thank you! I had no idea there was such a thing as a cow shark...

On 1/15/2022 at 3:52 AM, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

Best regards,

J

On 1/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, Shellseeker said:

Sorry it took so long to get the picture... Man, time goes by when you're busy lol. Here is a pic of the possible humerus. The picture shows the curve on it, hopefully this helps

0116221158.jpg

Ok, thats indeed no humerus.

Hard to tell with the eroded ends, but maybe the zygomatic part of a squamosal bone?

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

51 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Hard to tell with the eroded ends, but maybe the zygomatic part of a squamosal bone?

Best Regards,

J

Very well could be, but it seems a bit wide to be part of the skull (as you see in the first pic). It is definintely a strange bone.

7 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Best Regards,

J

Hmmm,  I see that word... Richard Hulbert introduced me to a word like it, in the link below.  Richard's word was zygopophyses

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/117483-bones/&tab=comments#comment-1290438

6 hours ago, Rocky998 said:

Very well could be, but it seems a bit wide to be part of the skull (as you see in the first pic). It is definintely a strange bone.

Can you you retake your photo in bright light?  Sunlight would do, or directly under a halogen bulb?

It might or might not be similar to this: I can not tell.

IMG_1461.thumb.JPEG.11195a760986af327cd71cd055e6e65d.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

43 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Hmmm,  I see that word... Richard Hulbert introduced me to a word like it, in the link below.  Richard's word was zygopophyses

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/117483-bones/&tab=comments#comment-1290438

Can you you retake your photo in bright light?  Sunlight would do, or directly under a halogen bulb?

It might or might not be similar to this: I can not tell.

IMG_1461.thumb.JPEG.11195a760986af327cd71cd055e6e65d.JPEG

The bone I have looks very similar to that. I will try to get a picture tomorrow because it is dark out right now and I have no halogen bulb. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it!

9 hours ago, Rocky998 said:

The bone I have looks very similar to that. I will try to get a picture tomorrow because it is dark out right now and I have no halogen bulb. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it!

Ok, so maybe I got some right hint without knowing it... I was talking about the zygomatic arch that is part of the skull, but if Shellseekers specimen is a zygapophysis, that looks like a good match on first glance.

Best Regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

On 1/17/2022 at 6:43 AM, Mahnmut said:

Ok, so maybe I got some right hint without knowing it... I was talking about the zygomatic arch that is part of the skull, but if Shellseekers specimen is a zygapophysis, that looks like a good match on first glance.

Best Regards,

J

Sorry its taken so long, I hope these help with identifying. Here are a few photos: 

0114221600.jpg

0114221553.jpg

0114221548.jpg

Mergex.thumb.jpg.b392aae7c1feca217508f0c26ede0eeb.jpg

Great Improvement on these photos, but I can not tell if the image I said was similar to mine is actually similar.  After all we may be dealing with damaged fragments. There are some similarities, but in your other views of the fossil,  there i almost no similarity. Your fossil seems to be a toe bone, mine is a process broken off a vertebra.. Not the same

9 hours ago, Rocky998 said:

Sorry its taken so long, I hope these help with identifying. Here are a few photos: 

Looks like a small cetacean humerus.

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a small cetacean humerus.

I understand where you would think that, but the piece is curved too much for it to be a humerus. It really does look like the piece @Shellseeker showed.

5 minutes ago, Rocky998 said:

I understand where you would think that, but the piece is curved too much for it to be a humerus. It really does look like the piece @Shellseeker showed.

I guess I'm not seeing the curvature that you are talking about. Does it show up in your photos?

Here are two cetacean humeri from the Yorktown Formation. They don’t have the eroded ends that your fossil has.

CDAF0F29-9EDD-4D7D-B700-5468D44F2FF7.jpeg

384D7E82-6F36-472A-ABC0-3CB6AF55AA85.jpeg

3F8B847B-888F-45B9-A96B-84D6B1C73C00.jpeg

2D22FDE0-4833-4537-97C8-BC2DE91A35F6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Rocky - These are the angles you should be taking of your item. ;)

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I thank you for that and I agree, from the top of it, it looks a lot like a humerus, but from the side like in the picture at the bottom of the two, it is more curved

Mergex.thumb.jpg.b392aae7c1feca217508f0c26ede0eeb.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Rocky - These are the angles you should be taking of your item. ;)

which angles do you mean? top? or the curved sides?