Is this liopleurodon tooth? Found in Volga region moscow please tell thank you

Cartoonfossil

Volga region Moscow doesn't exist, they are distant from each other. The tooth doesn't look like Liopleurodon: Liopleurodon teeth are very rare and of a different preservation. It might be a pl(es)iosaur tooth from Varavino, Moscow region, if Moscow is involved (Cenomanian)

• I found this Informative 4

Like Yury said, not Liopleurodon, which are robust and have a very distinctive look to them with, amongst other characteristics, striations on one side and very few to none on the other, such as the example below (also take a look at this thread for more examples of pliosaur teeth and a discussion on their morphology):

Liopleurodon.thumb.jpg.1d07b9ac8723865b983ac809cfe112a4.jpg

Example of Liopleurodon ferox from Hildesheim in Germany (source)

The tooth is, however, plesiosaurian, with its strong striations indicating its likely attribution to leptocleidia; whether it belongs to leptocleididae or polycotylidae, however, depends on whether it's Early Cretaceous or Late Cretaceous in age.

As Yury also already pointed out the Volga-region and Moscow-basin are two completely different areas, although there is, I believe, some overlap in age of deposits. Dealers frequently mix up location information for Russian vertebrate remains, however (see here, for example). Irrespectively, preservation of the tooth proposed here doesn't match what I'm familiar with for either area, which would be something like the below for the Moscow-basin (source; @Jaimin013)

5d127c9d6ef56_Pliosaurtooth2-resize.jpg.370afc40068427d5734baad096eb9b65.jpg.0e197b60c58781c213c3a711b3616d13.jpg

and this for the Volga-region (source; @RuMert )

IMG20210304182418.jpg.3fcc6c66e484a8e2345982d6d35d4448.jpg

As such, it may well be that the proposed tooth comes from Varavino, and would then be Cenomanian in age, making it a "polycotylidae indet." - not to be mistaken for pliosaur.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thank you, Alexander, the tooth I found is far from being exemplary:D As for the 2nd tooth @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon cites I'm not sure it's Jurassic, looks too good and much like a Cenomanian tooth from Tambov below. But could be either way.

152874361444907-big.jpg

For future reference:

1. Russian Jurassic/Lower Cretaceous pl(es)iosaurs including such genera as Pliosaurus, Liopleurodon, Simolestes, Makhaira, Luskhan, Muraenosaurus, Colymbosaurus etc. are rare, finds of their teeth are VERY scarce. They won't be easily offered online. Ichthyosaurs are more numerous but still uncommon. They could be found in Moscow, Ryazan (Moscow syneclise)  as well as Ulyanovsk, Tatarstan, Samara, Ivanovo, Yaroslavl (Volga basin) regions. The preservation is as follows:

150529053306903-big.jpg

134325470520105-big.jpg

143178816486692-big.jpg

143499438799053-big.jpg

2. Russian Upper Cretaceous pl(es)iosaurs including Leptocleidia, Polyptychodon (valid or not),  Elasmosauridae etc. are much more common and usually found in Cenomanian deposits.

They come from Moscow, Ryazan, Tambov, Saratov, Volgograd regions (mostly 1st 2). Their color is somewhat lighter, often whitish or yellowish:

158900516723984-big.jpg

152528389228887-big.jpg

162296425469436-big.jpg

146285096835105-big.jpg

3. There's also an Albian/Cenomanian exposure at Stoylenskiy GOK, (Stary Oskol, Belgorod region) which produces lots of reptile teeth offered online. They look like this:

145409546683960-big.jpg

Edited by RuMert
  • I found this Informative 5

Thanks for compiling this overview, Yury! Very practical, especially since, as noted, vendor information about Russian marine reptile remains leaves much to be desired and information outside of Russia is often restricted to the more easily recognizable Stary Oskol material. The number of references to the "Volga Beds" of the Moscan-basin, and things like the "Seversk Sandstone of Belgorod Oblast" or "Belgorod, Kursk" are rife, and for the uninitiated (to which I still count myself, if I'm being honest) it can be a nightmare to disentangle. Add to this that many vendors just simply lump everything together and you just know there'll be no end to this...

And while I know your Volga specimen may not be the best-preserved specimen out there, I'd wager it's still representative for the very fact that it's so water-worn, as you might expect from a river-side location. After all, not all teeth found are perfect specimens, right ;)

As to Jai's tooth, I find it difficult to outright classify it as brachauchenine, which it would need to be if Cretaceous (and if the traditional views as to Cretaceous pliosaurs were to be maintained). That's because, while the density of striations on the lingual side would match what you could expect from brachauchenine pliosaurs, the near absence of striae on the labial side is much more common in Jurassic pliosaurs like Liopleurodon spp. than brachauchenine pliosaurs (though it does occur). Now if the tooth were subtriangular, that'd pretty much make it an open and shut case. However, as it's not and since the associated locality information is highly inaccurate - deriving as it does from the very first period in which specimens like these were exported out of Russia - it's going to be difficult to tell where it came from and, thus, what species it may have belonged to. A similar tooth I've seen comes with the same locality information and has similar morphology, which I'd, again, not consider brachauchenine - but who is to say for sure, with certain pliosaur teeth looking so similar.

liopleurodon_ferox_tooth_moscow_basin_01.thumb.jpg.9571881cc1e6a3bb2998f4afbc418852.jpgliopleurodon_ferox_tooth_moscow_basin_02.thumb.jpg.d31bb36a0d84356f2f92981d80e2e2c1.jpg

If you compare these proclaimed Jurassic teeth with the below specimen from Faringdon, traditionally identified as Liopleurodon ferox, then the similarities are substantial.

204455560_LiopleurodonferoxtoothFaringdon.thumb.jpg.7ac67e7ece43a33523b4b2288675ba49.jpg

Add to that the fact that the root on the proclaimed Jurassic specimens from Russia (Moscow-basin?) have a darker-coloured root than the Cretaceous specimens you've shown, and it seems possible - at least to me - that they would be from a different locality and possibly a different age.

For, if you compare it to the below brachauchenine tooth (and I must admit the photograph is, unfortunately, not fully colour accurate), then the root is notably lighter in colour and much more like the most heavily mineralised roots found at Stary Oskol than that of the aforementioned pliosaur teeth. At the same time, however, the colour does appear darker than typical of the teeth found the Cenomanian deposits described.

1189010972_StaryOskolmarinereptiletooth2.thumb.jpg.597ddb1237556628df3fa0ee56da67bb.jpg

Then again, we all know that there's only limited utility to colour assessment in provenance determination, and such assessment cannot be done without taking other preservational aspects into consideration as well. And when it comes to that, one rather interesting observation that can be made based on the above photographs is that fossils from (what I presume to be) Tambov appear to have black circular encrustations on them, possibly something manganese, which is similar in nature to the encrustation that can be seen on Jai's tooth...

1 hour ago, RuMert said:

1. Russian Jurassic/Lower Cretaceous pl(es)iosaurs including such genera as Pliosaurus, Liopleurodon, Simolestes, Makhaira, Luskhan, Muraenosaurus, Colymbosaurus etc. are rare, finds of their teeth are VERY scarce. They won't be easily offered online. Ichthyosaurs are more numerous but still uncommon. They could be found in Moscow, Ryazan (Moscow syneclise)  as well as Ulyanovsk, Tatarstan, Samara, Ivanovo, Yaroslavl (Volga basin) regions. The preservation is as follows:

To add an ichthyosaur tooth to your beautiful collection of pl(es)iosaur teeth. It's an ophthalmosaurid of Tithonian/Volgian age that comes from Gorodische:

1456285589_JurassicTithonian(Volgian)ophthalmosauridaecf.UndorosaurusgorodischensistoothGorodischeRussia01.thumb.jpg.499857e80173d6b1db5d8524ea59382d.jpg1795564797_JurassicTithonian(Volgian)ophthalmosauridaecf.UndorosaurusgorodischensistoothGorodischeRussia02.thumb.jpg.9a26bb9319903d041e7c7a35fe672e6c.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...
On 17/1/2565 at 20 นาฬิกา 3 นาที, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

ขอขอบคุณที่รวบรวมภาพรวมนี้ ยูริ! เป็นประโยชน์อย่างยิ่ง โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่ง เนื่องจากตามที่กล่าวไว้ ข้อมูลผู้ขายเกี่ยวกับสัตว์เลื้อยคลานในทะเลรัสเซียยังคงเป็นที่ต้องการอย่างมาก และข้อมูลภายนอกรัสเซียมักถูกจำกัดเฉพาะวัสดุ Stary Oskol ที่จดจำได้ง่ายกว่า จำนวนการอ้างอิงถึง "Volga Beds" ของ Moscan-basin และสิ่งต่างๆเช่น "Seversk Sandstone of Belgorod Oblast" หรือ "Belgorod, Kursk" มีอยู่มากมายและสำหรับผู้ที่ไม่ได้ฝึกหัด (ซึ่งฉันยังคงนับตัวเองถ้าฉัน พูดตามตรง) อาจเป็นฝันร้ายที่จะคลี่คลาย เพิ่มไปยังผู้ขายจำนวนมากเพียงแค่รวมทุกอย่างเข้าด้วยกันและคุณเพิ่งรู้ว่าจะไม่มีที่สิ้นสุดในเรื่องนี้...

และในขณะที่ฉันรู้ว่าตัวอย่างแม่น้ำโวลก้าของคุณอาจไม่ใช่ตัวอย่างที่ได้รับการอนุรักษ์ไว้อย่างดีที่สุด แต่ฉันก็พนันได้เลยว่ามันยังคงเป็นตัวแทนของความจริงที่ว่ามันจมน้ำมากอย่างที่คุณคาดหวังจากตำแหน่งริมแม่น้ำ ท้ายที่สุดแล้ว ฟันบางซี่ก็ไม่ใช่ตัวอย่างที่สมบูรณ์แบบใช่ไหม;)

สำหรับฟันของ Jai ฉันพบว่าเป็นการยากที่จะจำแนกมันเป็น brachauchenine ซึ่งจะต้องเป็นในยุคครีเทเชียส นั่นเป็นเพราะในขณะที่ความหนาแน่นของลายทางด้านข้างของลิ้นจะตรงกับสิ่งที่คุณคาดหวังจาก brachauchenine pliosaurs การไม่มี striae ที่ด้านข้างของริมฝีปากนั้นพบได้บ่อยใน Jurassic pliosaurs เช่นLiopleurodonเอสพีพี กว่า brachauchenine pliosaurs (แม้ว่าจะเกิดขึ้นก็ตาม) ทีนี้ถ้าฟันเป็นรูปสามเหลี่ยม ก็น่าจะทำให้เป็นเคสแบบเปิดและปิดได้ อย่างไรก็ตาม เนื่องจากไม่ใช่และเนื่องจากข้อมูลท้องถิ่นที่เกี่ยวข้องมีความไม่ถูกต้องสูง - มาจากช่วงแรกที่ตัวอย่างเหล่านี้ถูกส่งออกจากรัสเซีย - เป็นเรื่องยากที่จะบอกได้ว่ามาจากที่ใดและด้วยเหตุนี้ มันอาจเป็นของสายพันธุ์อะไร ฟันที่คล้ายคลึงกันที่ฉันเคยเห็นมาพร้อมกับข้อมูลของท้องที่เดียวกันและมีสัณฐานวิทยาที่คล้ายคลึงกัน ซึ่งฉันจะไม่พิจารณา brachauchenine อีกครั้ง แต่ใครจะพูดได้แน่ว่าฟันพลิโอซอร์บางซี่ดูคล้ายกันมาก

liopleurodon_ferox_tooth_moscow_basin_01.thumb.jpg.9571881cc1e6a3bb2998f4afbc418852.jpgliopleurodon_ferox_tooth_moscow_basin_02.thumb.jpg.d31bb36a0d84356f2f92981d80e2e2c1.jpg

หากคุณเปรียบเทียบฟันจูราสสิคที่ประกาศไว้เหล่านี้กับตัวอย่างด้านล่างจาก Faringdon ซึ่งระบุตามเนื้อผ้าว่าLiopleurodon feroxความคล้ายคลึงกันนั้นมีความสำคัญมาก

204455560_LiopleurodonferoxtoothFaringdon.thumb.jpg.7ac67e7ece43a33523b4b2288675ba49.jpg

เพิ่มความจริงที่ว่ารากของตัวอย่างจูราสสิคที่ประกาศจากรัสเซีย (ลุ่มน้ำมอสโก?) มีรากที่มีสีเข้มกว่าตัวอย่างยุคครีเทเชียสที่คุณเคยแสดง และดูเหมือนว่าอย่างน้อยสำหรับฉัน - พวกเขาจะเป็นเช่นนั้น จากต่างถิ่นและอาจต่างวัย

สำหรับ ถ้าคุณเปรียบเทียบกับฟัน brachauchenine ด้านล่าง (และฉันต้องยอมรับว่ารูปถ่ายนั้น โชคไม่ดีที่สีไม่แม่นยำทั้งหมด) แสดงว่ารากนั้นมีสีอ่อนกว่าอย่างเห็นได้ชัด และเหมือนกับรากที่มีแร่ธาตุหนักที่สุดที่พบใน Stary Oskol มากกว่า ของฟันพลิโอซอร์ดังกล่าว ในเวลาเดียวกัน อย่างไรก็ตาม สีจะดูเข้มกว่าปกติของฟันที่พบตะกอน Cenomanian อธิบายไว้

1189010972_StaryOskolmarinereptiletooth2.thumb.jpg.597ddb1237556628df3fa0ee56da67bb.jpg

อีกครั้ง เราทุกคนทราบดีว่าการประเมินสีในการกำหนดแหล่งที่มามียูทิลิตี้ที่จำกัดเท่านั้น และการประเมินดังกล่าวไม่สามารถทำได้โดยไม่ได้คำนึงถึงแง่มุมอื่นๆ ในการถนอมรักษาด้วยเช่นกัน และเมื่อพูดถึงเรื่องนั้น ข้อสังเกตที่น่าสนใจอย่างหนึ่งที่สามารถทำได้จากภาพถ่ายด้านบนก็คือ ฟอสซิลจาก (ที่ฉันนึกว่าเป็น) ตัมบอฟ ดูเหมือนจะมีเปลือกหุ้มเป็นวงกลมสีดำ บางทีอาจเป็นแมงกานีส ซึ่งมีลักษณะคล้ายคลึงกันในธรรมชาติ ไปจนถึงการอุดฟันที่มองเห็นได้บนฟันของใจ...

เพื่อเพิ่มฟัน ichthyosaur ให้กับคอลเลกชันที่สวยงามของฟัน pl (es) iosaur เป็นจักษุวิทยาของยุค Tithonian/Volgian ที่มาจาก Gorodische:

1456285589_JurassicTithonian(Volgian)ophthalmosauridaecf.Undorosaurusgorodischensistooth GorodischeRussia01.thumb.jpg.499857e80173d6b1db5d8524ea59382d.jpg1795564797_JurassicTithonian(Volgian)ophthalmosauridaecf.Undorosaurusgorodischensistooth GorodischeRussia02.thumb.jpg.9a26bb9319903d041e7c7a35fe672e6c.jpg

What is pliosaur specie tooth?and in russia?

liopleurodon_ferox_tooth_moscow_basin_01.thumb.jpg.9571881cc1e6a3bb2998f4afbc418852.jpg

5 hours ago, Cartoonfossil said:

What is pliosaur specie tooth?and in russia?

liopleurodon_ferox_tooth_moscow_basin_01.thumb.jpg.9571881cc1e6a3bb2998f4afbc418852.jpg

It's undoubtedly a Russian tooth, and I'd say it morphologically matches Liopleurodon sp. (although, in that case, possibly L. pachydeirus rather than L. ferox for it's less bold striations). However, Madzia (2016) has shown that great variation existed in the morphology of Cretaceous brachauchenine pliosaur teeth, and the current specimen could be a match as well. With the provenance of this tooth, and the other one illustrated above, being contested, as @RuMert pointed out, it could currently be both. The crux of the matter is that, since a lot of pliosaur species had very similar types of teeth, provenance and dating become really important, as I've explained here (emphasis added).

On 3/11/2021 at 5:38 PM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:
  1. Cretaceous teeth are round/conical, can have any number of striations, and are brachauchenine.
  2. (Sub)trihedral teeth are restricted to the Late Jurassic and belong to the genus Pliosaurus, with (as far as I'm aware) only P. kevani and Pliosaurus (Stretosaurus) macromerus having subtrihedral teeth.
  3. Teeth prior to the Kimmeridgian are round/conical:
    • Teeth from the Triassic and Early Jurassic with only labial striations are rhomaleosaurid.
    • For the Middle Jurassic a division can be made into a) the "robust" teeth of pliosaurs with a short mandibular symphyses (sensu Tarlo [1960], p. 150) and b) more "gracile" teeth belonging to pliosaurs with long mandibular symphyses (ibid.)
      1. Of the species with robust teeth, those of Liopleurodon sp. have both vermiculated enamel as well as reticulating striations, while Simolestes sp. lacks both these features.
      2. Of the species with gracile teeth, those of Peloneustes sp. have striae all around, whereas those of 'Pliosaurus' andrewsi has them only lingually, yet is almost indistinguishable from Peloneustes in all other aspects.
      3. Teeth with apically fused striae belong to derived thalattophoneans (which for the Middle Jurassic corresponds to Tarlo's (ibid.) species with short symphyses), Liopleurodon sp. and Simolestes sp. in particular.

As such, identification of this tooth significantly hinges on the question of whether, as @RuMert proposes, these teeth come from the Cenomanian of Tambov - with which they share notable preservational features - or are Jurassic in age. The thing about the brachauchine teeth, however, is that as Madzia (ibid.) mentions, they probably represent a multispecies assemblage that hasn't been studied sufficiently to differentiate yet. As more and more voices are moreover going up that Mid-Jurassic thalattophonean pliosaur species may have survived into the Late Jurassic and even Cretaceous (see, for instance, the articles on a Mexican Kimmeridgian Liopleurodon and a German Cretaceous Simolestes @RuMert mentioned here) it is even still possible that the tooth does indeed from Cretaceous deposits, yet still belongs to the genus Liopleurodon.

As you see, this is not an easy question to answer - at least not at the current state of knowledge... Generally, it's a hotly debated topic in palaeontology whether marine reptile species can actually be identified by their teeth, as the overlap in general feeding adaptations is reflected in dentition. As such, the traditional view held within palaeontology is that teeth can't be used to identify species, which, in part, underlies why so little work has been done to differentiate brachauchenine species. And while certain steps have been made to define diagnostic features for marine reptile teeth in order to allow their identification, the former cautionary message certainly holds for pliosaur teeth. In light hereof, I'm adhering to identification as a Late Jurassic Liopleurodon for now, but this could easily change as further insights become available.

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

ไม่ต้องสงสัยเลย มันคือฟันรัสเซีย และฉันจะบอกว่ามันมีลักษณะทางสัณฐานวิทยาตรงกับLiopleurodon sp (แม้ว่าในกรณีนั้น อาจเป็นL. pachydeirusมากกว่าL. feroxเพราะมันเป็นตัวหนาน้อยกว่า) อย่างไรก็ตามMadzia (2016)ได้แสดงให้เห็นว่ามีการเปลี่ยนแปลงอย่างมากในสัณฐานวิทยาของฟัน Cretaceous brachauchenine pliosaur และตัวอย่างปัจจุบันก็อาจเข้าคู่กันได้เช่นกัน ด้วยที่มาของฟันนี้ และอีกอันหนึ่งที่แสดงไว้ข้างต้น กำลังโต้แย้งว่า@รูเมิร์ทชี้ให้เห็นว่าขณะนี้อาจเป็นทั้งสองอย่าง ปมของเรื่องนี้ก็คือ เนื่องจากสายพันธุ์พลิโอซอร์จำนวนมากมีประเภทฟันที่คล้ายคลึงกันมาก ที่มาและการออกเดทจึงมีความสำคัญมาก ดังที่ฉันได้อธิบายไว้ที่นี่ (เน้นเพิ่ม)

ดังนั้นการระบุฟันนี้จึงขึ้นอยู่กับคำถามที่ว่า as@รูเมิร์ทเสนอว่าฟันเหล่านี้มาจาก Cenomanian of Tambov ซึ่งมีลักษณะการอนุรักษ์ที่โดดเด่นหรืออยู่ในยุคจูราสสิก อย่างไรก็ตาม สิ่งที่เกี่ยวกับฟัน brachauchine ก็คือตามที่ Madzia ( ibid. ) กล่าวถึง พวกมันอาจเป็นตัวแทนของการรวมตัวหลายสายพันธุ์ที่ยังไม่ได้รับการศึกษาอย่างเพียงพอเพื่อแยกแยะ เมื่อมีเสียงพูดกันมากขึ้นเรื่อยๆ ยิ่งไปกว่านั้น สายพันธุ์พลิโอซอร์ช่วงกลางยุคจูราสสิกอาจสามารถอยู่รอดได้ในยุคจูราสสิคตอนปลายและแม้กระทั่งยุคครีเทเชียส (ดู เช่น บทความเกี่ยวกับ ลิโอโพลโรดอน เม็กซิกันคิมเมอริดเจียน  และ ซีโมเลสที สยุคครีเทเชียสของเยอรมัน @รูเมิร์ทที่ กล่าวถึง ใน ที่นี้ ) ก็ยังเป็นไปได้ที่ฟันจะเกิดจากการสะสมของยุคครีเทเชียส แต่ก็ยังอยู่ในสกุล Liopleurodon

อย่างที่คุณเห็น นี่ไม่ใช่คำถามที่ตอบง่าย - อย่างน้อยก็ไม่ใช่ในสถานะปัจจุบันของความรู้... โดยทั่วไป เป็นหัวข้อที่มีการถกเถียงกันอย่างถึงพริกถึงขิงในบรรพชีวินวิทยาว่าฟันของพวกมันสามารถระบุชนิดของสัตว์เลื้อยคลานในทะเลได้จริงหรือไม่ การดัดแปลงการให้อาหารทั่วไปสะท้อนให้เห็นในฟัน เช่นนี้ มุมมองดั้งเดิมที่จัดขึ้นภายในบรรพชีวินวิทยาคือฟันไม่สามารถใช้เพื่อระบุสายพันธุ์ได้ ซึ่งในบางส่วนสนับสนุนว่าทำไมจึงมีการทำงานเพียงเล็กน้อยเพื่อแยกความแตกต่างของสายพันธุ์ brachauchenine และในขณะที่มีการกำหนดขั้นตอนบางอย่างเพื่อกำหนดลักษณะการวินิจฉัยของฟันสัตว์เลื้อยคลานในทะเลเพื่อให้สามารถระบุตัวตนได้ ข้อความเตือนก่อนหน้านี้มีไว้สำหรับฟันพลิโอซอร์อย่างแน่นอน ในที่นี้ ข้าพเจ้ายึดมั่นในการระบุว่าเป็น Late Jurassic Liopleurodonในตอนนี้ แต่สิ่งนี้สามารถเปลี่ยนแปลงได้อย่างง่ายดายเมื่อมีข้อมูลเชิงลึกเพิ่มเติม

Oh thank you it amezing

• Thank You 1