Burrow cast in Chinle Formation

kgbudge

Trace fossils aren't always as exciting, but I like the ones I've found.

This looks like a burrow cast. From the "mottled member" of the Chinle Formation, Temple Mountain, San Rafael Swell, Utah, US.

0372a.thumb.JPG.df08a63cb8ecf8dfb3bc115253a19721.JPG

0372b.thumb.JPG.2e3d3153b7070ffe6f39a914496692dd.JPG

0372c.thumb.JPG.c7716a14c9e91954d9097f1bf312e90a.JPG

0372d.thumb.JPG.0e4eb2803eb5c6f005e24d456ea5da6f.JPG

Posting also to check my identification. My references indicate that the mottled member at this locale is known to have lungfish burrows ... unless they're crustacean burrows. This one seems large for a crawdad (even a Triassic crawdad) but small for a lungfish.

• Enjoyed 1

I don't know what yours is. But, I have, what I believe, are several infilled burrows from the Chinle. They range in size from 1/4 that of the diameter of a pencil lead to 3 times the diameter of a pencil lead. The longest is 3/4 inch. They might be just mineral oddities or maybe twigs that deteriorated and the resulting void was then filled.

Unfortunately, it is dark outside and the light for my microscope burned out so I have no way to photograph them at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Bivalves can leave traces that look a bit like this. They are more mobile than one might expect, and move with a slight jiggle to their walk.

• I found this Informative 1

I think, there are three possibilities:  borrow cast attributed to freshwater crayfish, rhizolith or sandstone-filled mudcrack. Hard to me to say. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I couldn't get the pictures to show this well, but the thing is quite cylindrical in shape. Might be more obvious if It was removed from its matrix.