Keichousaurus

acron611

Hi,

I picked up this fossil for a reasonable price and I'm wondering what you guys think of it? Not the nicest, but everything is correct (I think). I know there are a lot of fakes, so im wondering what you guys think.

Thanks!!!!

1788745377_ScreenShot2022-01-16at8_35_26PM.png

122263103_ScreenShot2022-01-16at8_36_25PM.png

362891827_ScreenShot2022-01-16at8_36_32PM.png

358178558_ScreenShot2022-01-16at8_36_40PM.png

581213363_ScreenShot2022-01-16at8_36_48PM.png

1650022862_ScreenShot2022-01-16at8_36_56PM.png

I do not get a good vibe from this one at all. :( For one, there seems to be too few ribs. It also seems the humerus and ulna/radius are one solid piece instead of being separate bones. I also do not see any detail in the neck vertebrae. I think most if not all of this is a carving. Wait for a few more opinions...

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Definitely a carving. Observe the texture on the mid section of the piece, the way it is all going one direction. Unfortunately this doesn’t occur naturally, and the ribs are much too uniform and ‘perfect.’ The ‘bones’ seem to be melded into to stone, not separate from it like a real Keichousaurus would be. Very sorry that this happened to you :( 

8ADADDDD-CEC7-4F32-B090-F1C996FB6F6C.thumb.jpeg.d0fcf78d9c89650c6fe035db378403c6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the quick responses! Ughhhhhhhh I’ve been tricked…. Hopefully I’ve had it early enough that I might get a refund…….

That must have taken a longtime to carve if it is carved at all? A lot of the markings on the bones could also be from rotary prepping tools?  I don’t get a great feeling from this one but better photos are needed to be 100% sure.  A message to all prospective buyers post on the forum before buying and ask for advice.

Edited by Bobby Rico

@acron611

I certainly am not more experienced or have a sharper eye than those who have already responded, but...

I view this piece as a keichousaurus fossil, seen in ventral aspect, that has been prepped by a heavy hand with a rotary wire wheel. Better closeup pictures would help the evaluation. To partially address the view, it is simply a painted carving; dab some acetone on a large piece presenting as dark bone. Is it paint? Caution, if it is painted, alteration may impact your ability to return the item. Alternately, or as well, view the piece with at least a 10X loupe. Any paint should be obvious. Lastly, if you don't love it, send it back. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

So glad to hear you got a refund! If you’re ever in the same position and unsure about buying something, the forum is always a wonderful place to ask if something is genuine or not before purchasing, I’ve made the same mistake myself ;)