Snaggletooth19

This past Thursday, I made a trip out to Douglas Point along the Potomac. I enjoy going in warm weather like anyone, but going during the winter has its own merits. Cool, crisp air, fewer people, possibly some more unique finds. I was the only one on the beach for just about the whole morning and afternoon. Although a little chilly, the right gear made it no problem at all. 

The trail down to the beach is a bit run down. Lots of broken and collapsed trees covering the trail.

I found quite a few sand tiger teeth. I only keep the larger ones now that I find and leave the small ones for others. 

About one foot into the water at low tide, I saw a characteristic cone-shaped object rolling around. Sure enough, it turned out to be a crocodile tooth. I've only found one other one at Matoaka beach, so this is probably my favorite find of this trip.

My most curious find was the small, pristine Hemipristis tooth. The snaggletooth shark was not found in the Paleocene. It didn't arrive until later and is commonly found in Miocene exposures. On the ID page, it was mentioned by one astute member that the nearest Miocene exposure is downriver, making it unlikely this tooth washed up from another location. The most likely source is apparently another hunter/collector dropping it either accidentally or intentionally.

Hopefully, it was an accident, as "salting" is really unnecessary at this location. Unlike some other locations, it's not hard to find at least small teeth at Purse and Douglas. I only keep the bigger, better finds, and leave other small teeth for others to find. I encourage others to do the same. There's almost nothing worse than going to one of these locations with young kids and they get bored and upset because they can't find anything. But I can't agree with "salting". It ruins the integrity of the site.

I also found some shark vertebrae and some possible reptile bone fragments. I also found an interesting concretion or maybe some piece of metal that's rolled around in the river for awhile. Never know what you'll find!

Overall, a good trip and a great location, even in winter, if you're up for a little adventurous hike through the snow and fallen trees to reach the beach.

DouglasPointTrailJan22.jpg

DouglasPointJan22.jpg

DouglasPointSandTigerJan22.jpg

DouglasPointSandTiger2Jan22.jpg

DouglasPointCrocToothJan22.jpg

DouglasCrocToothJan22.jpg

DouglasHemiInSituJan22.jpg

DouglasHemiJan22.jpg

DouglasFindsJan22.jpg

• Enjoyed 5