Anniversary Ammonite Adventure

Uncle Siphuncle

My wife and I had a Belize trip scheduled last week to celebrate our 9th anniversary, but canceled it last minute to avoid Covid related travel inconvenience.  Taking travel logistics back into our own hands, we threw together an impromptu driving itinerary to some wonderful parts of northern New Mexico, courtesy of our tenured friend, Pee Fooley.

While Pee couldn’t join us, my wife’s Jeep faithfully delivered us to panoramic environs many miles off pavement.  The air was crisp, skies clear, and the ground was dry.  Biting winds kept us bundled up.  I figured cell service might be spotty, so we clipped old school walkie talkies to ourselves, because married people still walk at their own pace, ha!

The first cuesta we visited seemed promising, so off we went across the desert floor to the foot of the bluff composed of Carlile Shale (equivalent of Eagle Ford Grp of Texas) capped by Semilla sandstone.

88EC4866-8CB5-4AED-BC73-62A955224CB6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

While I instinctively billy goated up the bluff, my wife, Brett, was content to canvass the talus of the slope and weathering mounds that punctuated the desert floor.  While fossil finds would be a nice addition to the adventure, I calibrated my mindset to easy-to-please setting, and paused to imbibe the intoxicating pastoral views from on high, snapping a few pics from hard won ethereal altitude.

43C4A2EC-4A63-4E99-A6E4-16EA214EF298.jpeg

BECA22DF-8D3E-4790-88C3-48A2FD51BFB2.jpeg

7A7A3458-95DD-4315-BAD7-FB16C5C22FAF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Grüße,

Through the center of this cactus, my wife can be seen inventorying fossils on the desert floor, her take including the impression of a small Spathites puercoensis ammonite and a lamniform shark tooth in matrix. 

43C588C7-4DA8-451E-B7FA-D151222CD5C1.jpeg

1220ABEA-99D0-44BF-9C5B-690CBF51FB11.jpeg

Grüße,

Turning my attention the other direction, little did I know that my first find was moments away.

A745C60C-E1EE-4C64-B970-F530C4663DB9.jpeg

Grüße,

A small rockfall from the Semilla revealed the distinctive ventral ornamentation of a Prionocyclus hyatti ammonite, followed by the impression of a small Prionocyclus or Collignoniceras.

9844EEC1-3621-46EE-AA17-10A23E1D7E05.jpeg

5ED2D31E-16A2-4001-9429-451DB130A51D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Grüße,

A couple hours of this brought us back to the Jeep for a field lunch.  Always a man of leisure, I sought a backrest, and found one in the form of a dug out animal den on the desert floor.  Of course I kicked extra dirt in the hole to avoid any “surprises”.

C7877545-338A-4675-B99F-1DCA13FD386A.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Grüße,

Buoyed by warm-up success at our first site, we moved on to the main event, a steep sided mesa in the Carlile-Semilla sequence that Pee felt might hold promise...and it forfeited a sampling of its riches quite nicely.  Again I made vertical haste while my wife perhaps more wisely scoured the talus.  From my lofty parapet I could see the Jeep below (top of frame) and my wife scanning the ground (center right).

11AE3B0D-5B9D-43C0-93C1-0E754F402E95.jpeg

Grüße,

Then my radio crackled something about “Ammonites everywhere...get down here!”  I love it when she says that...music to my ears!  It turns out that she had found her first Spathites, and was one up on me genus-wise in my collecting career.  But I evened the score minutes later with one of my own.

50E75042-2A95-4820-A6DA-BDA15F4521FF.jpeg

8CEA8CEB-C0F5-4AAD-A04B-F9169259CB4C.jpeg

87427899-C54C-458D-BC2E-E6B3780E1AC4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 12

Grüße,

More bits and pieces entered and left our hands.  As we were preparing our exodus, I once again spied order amongst the disorder of the talus.  I asked my wife to video me scratching out a Prionocyclus hyatti from the scree, but she declined in favor of using her time collecting...love how that girl thinks!

754B8638-A167-4F4C-BB37-459211D8EA9E.jpeg

72BBC74B-06D7-41C1-BF1F-69BACDF44B83.jpeg

9A533C07-D7AA-40DB-AABE-8965A6BF0905.jpeg

• Enjoyed 10

Grüße,

Then I heard a high pitched squeal through the wind...Brett had just made the find of the day, a rare and well preserved Romaniceras mexicanum ammonite, also from the Semilla.  Good thing she didn’t quit early to film me.

5A0B5C72-8BF5-4794-9158-5120ABF6213D.png

691C7798-2294-4FC9-B9F6-F72C06DE87FC.jpeg

• Enjoyed 10

Grüße,

We also picked up some interesting Turritella gastropod slabs, which got even more interesting back home.  Here is one Brett found, in both natural and black light.

3361F100-DE45-4DB6-ABA8-D414E41599B3.jpeg

A8F22AAA-3152-4173-9C75-3D4580A31A5B.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Grüße,

I found a couple cool ones too.

9A0AB607-2515-4650-9C96-D7353B113691.jpeg

0701C433-23DF-409E-AC9A-235727B1A91B.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Grüße,

Goofing with the black light, I spotted something pointy glowing back at me...a Squalicorax tooth that hid amongst the snails until we got home.

B4A9308D-A5CC-4FB7-9E7A-61517B1C7052.jpeg

6DEC7287-0651-4600-AE93-2D64674E524A.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Grüße,

We concluded our trip Friday night by meeting Mike and his lovely wife and daughter for dinner in Santa Fe, a perfect capstone for our trip.  Our friendship cemented like grains of oolite, I hope to host Mike and his family for some reciprocal collecting in Texas someday soon.

B7DD793D-4C9F-4D45-9B5C-66833C484E4D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Grüße,

Great report. And nice ammonites. I really have to do a NM trip when I visit AZ during the right time of year.

I will echo the remarks already spoken!  Being somewhat familiar with popular dining establishments in Santa Fe, I am going to offer my GUESS that you had your dinner at the Plaza Cafe on the square???  I LOVE their food AND all that DELICIOUS PIE!!  Dave 

8 minutes ago, Castle Rock said:

I will echo the remarks already spoken!  Being somewhat familiar with popular dining establishments in Santa Fe, I am going to offer my GUESS that you had your dinner at the Plaza Cafe on the square???  I LOVE their food AND all that DELICIOUS PIE!!  Dave 

Yes, we met at the Plaza Cafe.  But apparently the place changed ownership and menu a year or 2 ago, and some of Mike's favorites were no longer offered.  It was more about the meet up than anything.  However, lunch a little off the square was superb at Casa Chimayo...I highly recommend it.

Grüße,

Great report, great finds, and great photos, Dan. Your anniversary was better than mine. I was in New Mexico back in September, but wasn't able to make it to the Puerco Wilderness. Your photos and finds reminded me of the two wonderful times I spent there with Mike (PFooley). I especially love the Romaniceras and the turritella matrix. Congrats on both your trip and anniversary. Hope you do get to Belize sometime soon. Was there about 30 years ago. Wonderful wildlife and snorkeling. 

Wow ! Already 9 years ! Very good account of a trip surely exotic !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great report.  While one trip was halted, you and your wife quickly made a remarkable switch of gears what looked to be a fabulous trip with wonderful finds.

• Thank You 1

Well it wasn’t a trip to Belize, but still looks like a nice way to spend an anniversary! Congrats on the finds and 9 years of marriage! 

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Happy anniversary to you both. Your wife looks lovely, you spent sometime with a lovely family and you found some lovely ammonites. This anniversary been nicely marked I would say.

all the best Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Thank You 1