Is this a shellfish fossil?

June P

I think I’ve posted before in the wrong area…hoping this is reaching y’all:

found this in Bexar County San Antonio, Texas in my neighborhood which is new construction. In this area I’ve found a lot of petrified trees and other types of possible water creatures. I’ll attach those pics since I may have posted them in the wrong discussion area..

this looks like a shell of some sort and has beautiful little crystals in the ‘valleys’ of the sunburst pattern..

8E56BEC8-AE49-48DB-93F4-C6C6EB8660A4.jpeg

F7DC8433-358C-42B6-B152-B2597A300C6B.jpeg

577000CE-21BB-465A-AB4C-6854D69CBABE.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Shellfish is accurate I suppose, they are mollusks. They aren't like clams though, but free swimming cephalopods. It's a fragment of ammonite shell.

5 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Could it be a pectinid bivalve?
Franz Bernhard

I suspect a partial rudist like Radiolites.

Notice the fossil morphology extends beyond a single plane. 

1207356689_Capture_2022-01-19-00-17-592.png

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I suspect a partial rudist like Radiolites.

Indeed, that could be a possibility! Possibly the upper valve of a radiolitid, not the usual lower valve? I would like to see the cellular structure of a lower valve. Problem is, not all radiolitid lower valves have this cellular structure :D. Difficult!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

I agree. It is a rudist fragment (upper or lower valve).post-17588-0-04363900-1450898124.jpg.1f66f90c425e7d66ae1f9084ac3e173c.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, Y’all! Thanks so much!!!  Now I’m going to look these creatures up!  I love this area of Bexar County Texas. Every time I walk in the old ranch area and dig through the soil, i find myself transported back in time-it’s so humbling and I find myself in a deep state of reverence!