Has anyone ever found one of these in Washington?

Steve M

I found this in an area near my home earlier tonight, that is full of concretions, and fossil snails, clams, crabs, etc. I believe that it's either a Great White, or a Megalodon tooth. I think that it's a megalodon! It's roughly 2  11/16" from top to bottom, and 2. 1/8" wide, at it's widest point. Just looking for information? Thank you.

IMG_20220118_165136763.jpg

IMG_20220118_165122062.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

I'm not super well read on sharks here in Washington, but I do know they can be found here and are quite a rare find when they are found. Nice find indeed!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Did the search on TFF.....

Looks like Megs or GWs are scarce in Washington State.... No need to disagree with Meg.  It is like winning a lottery finding this tooth....  Not impossible, but not easy

WashingtonState.JPG.f9668d74788b3ffef1ed60ea37c84f89.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Some remains of Allodesmus, a Miocene pinniped, have been found along with some Squalus occidentalis teeth in the Montesano Formation.  You could find a megalodon in that.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/abs/occurrence-of-a-squaloid-shark-chondrichthyes-squaliformes-with-the-pinniped-allodesmus-from-the-upper-miocene-of-washington/E83C003AC4B3B13007F8FD3497EAC3D3

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you very much! I truly appreciate the help. I am after all not a paleontologist, or even a geologist. I'm a carpenter that got lucky, and needed a little help. Thank you very much. 

1 minute ago, Steve M said:

Thank you very much! I truly appreciate the help. I am after all not a paleontologist, or even a geologist. I'm a carpenter that got lucky, and needed a little help. Thank you very much. 

Welcome..  "I am after all not a paleontologist, or even a geologist. I'm a computer programmer that got lucky, and needed a little help."  I retired 14 years ago and fell into the Florida Fossil paradise. Every day,  I am living the dream.  Going out in the morning.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

One more quick question, about an interesting find. I came across this clam shell that has obvious large teeth marks on either side of the shell. One tooth measures 1" in length, and the tooth on the opposite side is roughly 7/8" to 15/16". My question is, how common of a find is this? Also, any idea what type of animal could possibly be responsible for this?

IMG_20220119_201630632~2.jpg

IMG_20220119_201644915~2.jpg