Myrtle Beach find - wood? tusk?

PSchleis

Found on Myrtle Beach Jan 18, 2022.

Feels and looks like fossilized wood. No "marrow" type stipling so not bone. Looking from the round cut-off end, darker black on the outside, lighter color on the inside.

That coloring threw me. Thought it was bone but now that strange color just wanted me to double check this wasn't some kind of animal tusk or horn.

Thanks!

Paula

11.jpg

12.jpg

13-2.jpg

I was thinking wood because of the grain and its swirly lines  can you show a good view if the larger end   Is it hollow?

1 hour ago, val horn said:

I was thinking wood because of the grain and its swirly lines  can you show a good view if the larger end   Is it hollow?

It's about 3.5 inches long. My niece found it here and I promised to try and help get it identified, but she left today and I don't have it to take additional photos. It is not hollow. The first photo shows the large end straight on. It is very solid, almost quartz-like in the center. There is no "marrow" type stipling anywhere on it.

• Thank You 1

28 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

There is no "marrow" type stipling anywhere on it.

That would be the first element to be warn away. I'm thinking this is basically cortical bone from the center of a larger piece.

Cortical bone is the compact bone of the shaft of a bone that surrounds the cancellous bone of the marrow cavity.  This item could be the tip of a rib from some unidentifiable critter.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

In that area I think it is likely to have been transported and wave washed for some time. It seems like a bit of vertebra, or other bone, could have this appearance too.