Jones1rocks

This is a half nodule with impressions of several leaves and what I believe is a stem connecting them, from Mazon Creek. Are they Cyclopteris?IMG_2156.thumb.JPG.8f309e4f8ff9af8b6053e500c6286f9c.JPGIMG_2153.thumb.JPG.0eb16f9661094b60a071dec650ff7dd2.JPGIMG_2152.thumb.JPG.5b4eb3d7e47aa4e3c61fb74632107f53.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

I think this is the bottom part of a Macroneuropteris scheuchzeri pinnule with one of the basal orbicular pinnules attached.

• I found this Informative 4

Very nice specimen! :)

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

He beat me to it by four hours. Only four hours. :) Nice specimen. In a Cyclopteris orbicularis specimen the veins don't fork at all. That's what gives away the identity of this one.

• I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 1/20/2022 at 10:21 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

He beat me to it by four hours. Only four hours. :) Nice specimen. In a Cyclopteris orbicularis specimen the veins don't fork at all. That's what gives away the identity of this one.

Yep agree Jones1rocks find is very very neat! Great find. 

@Mark Kmiecik Hey Mark, I have a question about your similar great find and the veins not forking and havent gotten Jack's latest floral book to see what Cyclopteris descriptions/examples it might contain to look at and do any further investigation. Does his new book have any further descriptions? I see some minor forking in your example near the basal attachment so I'm wondering about the diff valid types now. I did just join Esconi and am trying to find a copy to purchase. 

Regards, Chris 

19 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Yep agree Jones1rocks find is very very neat! Great find. 

@Mark Kmiecik Hey Mark, I have a question about your similar great find and the veins not forking and havent gotten Jack's latest floral book to see what Cyclopteris descriptions/examples it might contain to look at and do any further investigation. Does his new book have any further descriptions? I see some minor forking in your example near the basal attachment so I'm wondering about the diff valid types now. I did just join Esconi and am trying to find a copy to purchase. 

Regards, Chris 

They do fork in some specimens, once, very near the base and very close to the proximal "lobes", and is a "catch-all" for many species of various shapes and sizes. The vast majority (90%+) of the veins do not fork and are arranged in a fan-like array. Jack's book has 5 photos and very good written description.

Buy a copy from ESCONI, soft or hard cover. I looked online and don't see anyone else selling it. I bought mine when it first came out from a different source, hardcover for 1.5 times the price from ESCONI. They have them in stock, and are also selling them on "our favorite auction site" if you can't make it to a meeting. The book is titled A Comprehensive Guide to the Fossil Flora of Mazon Creek.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

They do fork in some specimens, once, very near the base and very close to the proximal "lobes", and is a "catch-all" for many species of various shapes and sizes. The vast majority (90%+) of the veins do not fork and are arranged in a fan-like array. Jack's book has 5 photos and very good written description.

Buy a copy from ESCONI, soft or hard cover. I looked online and don't see anyone else selling it. I bought mine when it first came out from a different source, hardcover for 1.5 times the price from ESCONI. They have them in stock, and are also selling them on "our favorite auction site" if you can't make it to a meeting. The book is titled A Comprehensive Guide to the Fossil Flora of Mazon Creek.

Thanks Mark for the reply/explanation!  I'm getting help to track down a copy so I can read about/look at the latest.

Regards, Chris