Post Oak Creek - January 19th

BudB

I made another trip to Post Oak Creek yesterday. I visited a spot on the creek where I'd already been twice last year, in the first months of my fossil hunting. The conditions the second trip were much like yesterday, months of low water and very picked over. I didn't find much that second trip. But I suspected that I have become much better at spotting tiny teeth on a gravel bar, and went back yesterday anyway. Judging from what I found, I must have been right.

There were lots of broken teeth again, and nothing spectacular or unusual enough to justify a post, but I do enjoy documenting my trips, and have a question about one of the bones, so here I am. First, some in situ photos. The tooth in photo 6 is pretty hard to see. Hint: it's a Ptychodus tooth.

poc00301.jpg

poc00302.jpg

poc00303.jpg

poc00304.jpg

poc00305.jpg

poc00306.jpg

poc00307.jpg

poc00308.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

I ended up bringing home 6 Ptychodus teeth, over 100 other teeth, 4 rocks with teeth in them, several bones, and one gastropod.

poc00309.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

A real shame this tooth is broken. Even with one side of the root broken off, and half the cusp missing, this is still the largest tooth I've ever found.

poc00310.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

Here are some of the more striking smaller teeth. I used to not be able to spot many teeth this size in all that gravel. There's something to be said for getting down on knees and elbows, and for getting your eyes trained.

poc00313.jpg

poc00314.jpg

poc00315.jpg

poc00316.jpg

poc00317.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

Half the root is missing from this tooth. I thought it was interesting how large the cusplet is, compared to the main cusp.

poc00318.jpg

To me, this was the most interesting of the bones I picked up. On the first side, it's just a flat surface, with an ordinary bone-looking finish. But on the second side is quite a raised pattern. Anyone recognize this?

poc00320.jpg

poc00321.jpg

Edited by BudB

41 minutes ago, BudB said:

To me, this was the most interesting of the bones I picked up. On the first side, it's just a flat surface, with an ordinary bone-looking finish. But on the second side is quite a raised pattern. Anyone recognize this?

Seems fishy to me, with the flaky nature of the bone, but I have an embarrassing track record of being wrong with that judgement.

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:13 PM, Jared C said:

Seems fishy to me, with the flaky nature of the bone, but I have an embarrassing track record of being wrong with that judgement.

That's what I thought too, but I sure don't recognize that raised pattern.