Fibrous inclusion in Baltic Amber, possibly mold or pollen

JohnBurrows

I found this piece while looking through a kilo of Amber and it's a bit different to the usual - there is something distinctly fibrous inside. Usually its the internal patterns of the Amber but this isn't. Unfortunately, its super hard to photograph.

I think its probably something like mold or pollen, although I can't see any distinct seed pods etc - going to clean it up a little more tomorrow.

I'd appreciate any input. :)

Thanks,

John

WIN_20220122_15_58_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_15_59_01_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_09_55_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_16_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_17_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_17_41_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_18_25_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_19_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_19_48_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220122_16_20_01_Pro.jpg

I have a couple pieces of Baltic with similar in them.  If you can, try using an external light source as well, but shining at an angle to try & light the strands up. Not sure, but I think they are roots, at least mine appear to be. These 2 pics are an example of what I'm talking about with lighting. Not as many tendrils as yours, but this was after sanding & polishing.. 1st one standard camera lighting, 2nd with external from an angle.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

13 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I have a couple pieces of Baltic with similar in them.  If you can, try using an external light source as well, but shining at an angle to try & light the strands up. Not sure, but I think they are roots, at least mine appear to be. These 2 pics are an example of what I'm talking about with lighting. Not as many tendrils as yours, but this was after sanding & polishing.. 1st one standard camera lighting, 2nd with external from an angle.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yours looks as though there may be a 'seed' or something under it, which would lend creedence to either pollen or roots - the ones in mine are incredibly wispy, but I suppose any amount of degradation may have occurred.

Yours could just be a dense growth area of a fine rooted organism like moss. I would love to find a piece like that, but unfortunately, I don't have that much to look through. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.