Some gastropods from early Jurassic

diaseis

Hi !

So I went on a walk in some marls in Lozère, France. Usually, I find some amonites and belemnites but this time I decided to change from my usual spot and searched around. I found an isolated marl which is a couple of kilometers away from the main marls which are known to be from the Toarcian. In the whole region (région des grands causses), marls can be either from Toarcian or Pliensbachian according to french wikipedia (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marne_(géologie) ).

Anyway in this new marl, I didn't find the same fossils as usual, at all. I found mainly gastropods, very small bivalves as well as some rare cases of amonites (which are abundant on the contrary on the other spot). So I was wondering what they were. I believe there are at least two different species in my findings : those on the upper lines look like some pictures of Amphitrochus pictures I found on this forum and on the net. On the second line are what I believe is a second species I didn't really manage to find similar thing on this forum. Under it I put the best looking very small bivalve I found in the very same marl.

Do you know what could those be ? I hope it interests you !

Alice

image.thumb.png.a9c9b6191449dc7da986f1e4e3c27a86.png

image.thumb.png.be1adbb37355fbc0e558abc154903ad2.png

Edited by diaseis
  • Enjoyed 4

I have similar ones from the Toarcian of Aveyron. They really look like Amphitrochus:)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for your answers ! I've cleaned some of them, with toothbrush and soap. I got some pretty good results but only after a (very) long time brushing (I spent about 3 hours doing so). I'll take some picture tomorrow when I have more light. Do you know some product that would be better than soap for cleaning marl ? I've seen some cleaning thread but I'd like to be careful since people reported their fossils were ruined.

25 minutes ago, diaseis said:

Do you know some product that would be better than soap for cleaning marl ?

Potassium hydroxide can do the trick. But if you don't want to try that I would suggest using a small steel brush instead of a toothbrush.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for the advice ! I'll get some Potassium hydroxide. Meanwhile here are my best specimen once preped. They are all measuring between 0.5 and 2 cm (the rule on the picture is in cm).

fossils.PNG.714702d2e555c5d820f13a3f47c22b4c.PNG

• Enjoyed 2