Triassic ammonite from Epidaurus region Greece

laiosx

Found recently this specimen in the wider Epidaurus region Greece . The matrix rock as well the as the ammonite is green silicified limestone with jasper pigments or enlosures in some parts . Considered geologically Upper Anisian - Carnian . Morphologically is close to Nevadites but not for sure as I am no expert in identification . Any help to ID welcome  

271928095_663787544753366_8851100341926880879_n.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Well, according to Krystyn (1983) Parakellnerites mark the last biozone of Anisian, Nevadites beginning of Ladinian.

The place we were digging is not the standard Epidaurus site close to the ancient theatre, where the limestones have this distinctive pinkish colour and the ammonite shell is layered with manganese. Contrary, the matrix is as Laios said. As per the museum's statement, this site is the so called pyritized phase (I guess due to the jasper and other silicified veins) and is supposed to be Carnian. The geological map though, depicts both sites (Theatre and the other one) as the same formation.

Onto the ammonites now, the age of Nevadites is closely matched, since biozone of Nevadites is Ladinian and later.

Of all the Nevadites found in this publication, only the middle one I attached resembles your sample. However, all Nevadites I managed to find online have rough shell or blunt spikes.

I am not an expert but I wonder based on which characteristics this sample was classified as Nevadites.

In 1986, Brack and Rieber separated some species of Nevadites which used to be classified as Protrachyceras reitzi, creating a new group of Nevadites reitzi.

Lastly but most important, our reference, Tselepides' dissertation, does not study samples after the beginning of Ladinian and the biozone of curionii.

More or less, we do not have a clue about Carnian ammonites, our species determination is based purely on speculation and luck, if the specific species is found both in Ladinian and Carnian.

91bbHixPxrL._AC_SY450_ - Copy - Copy.jpg

91bbHixPxrL._AC_SY450_ - Copy.jpg

91bbHixPxrL._AC_SY450_.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

@herve ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hello srry J dont know because Trias stage is not my favorite

• Thank You 1

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish