Bringing Fossils to Life

Hi everyone! I was going through my Swatara Gap fossils when I came across this specimen, which I had originally thought to be coral. However, it looks similar to pictures of Spyroceras I've seen. Can anyone help? The first picture shows the texture, the second picture is a cross section, and the third picture is an imprint on the other side of the rock that looks cephalopody.

Mystery cephalopod side.jpg

Mystery cephalopd sectioned.jpg

Mystery cephalopd back.jpg

Edited by Bringing Fossils to Life

That's what everyone says, but HynerpetonHunter and I have proved otherwise; Eldredgeops, Greenops, Koenenites, and other species found there come from higher up but fell down, and are in the brown, red, and black parts. The yellow and white rocks are Ordovician.

Devonian rocks at Swatara Gap have been well known and published on for a long time.  But congrats on proving that, I guess.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

@Bringing Fossils to Life

The pictures don't really show what you are seeing, except the first one.

But the oblique angle makes identification difficult.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Isn’t Swatara Gap Ordovician?

The Gap itself was Ordovician. There was a dump pile of the Ordovician material taken from the Gap when it was closed to collection, and it left in a nearby state park -- that pile is long gone. The exposures that are available at the State Park are Devonian in age.  As Don stated, this has been known for a long time.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It could be Conularia, but it looks slightly different from pictures I've seen. I didn't know about Swatara Gap having Devonian before HynerpetonHunter suggested it to me, as he's done more research on it than I have. The fossil looks very similar to this Spyroceras picture, but because of its elliptical shape I would say coral otherwise.

Spyroceras fossil.jpg