Arctic Ocean fossil specimen collecting ideas?

cutgrindpolish

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an interesting fossil I could add to my collection that is from the Arctic Ocean.  Fossil Walrus tusk is not allowed in my state and I'd like to add something from this locality.  I was thinking the Greenland sleeper shark fossil teeth as it is the oldest vertebrate but I'm not sure how to identify one that would have traveled to the Arctic Ocean as I'm not aware of any collections in the arctic as opposed to closer.  Is there any other interesting fossils that would be known to be from the Arctic Ocean?  It is the last region not already in my collection.  I'm new to fossil collecting but I have already obtained land collections from all the continents and oceans other than the arctic and southern.  Does anyone know of coral from the Arctic Ocean/coastline or anything else that might be interesting.  Not sure if this is really fossil related but Deep Sea vents might be interesting if anyone knows where to trade/buy specimen samples from either in the Southern or Arctic Oceans? 

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

I can not help with your question, but I am wondering about your forum name - ?? :).

Franz Bernhard

34 minutes ago, cutgrindpolish said:

Makes really nice cabochons.

Would you like to show off some?
Franz Bernhard

Welcome from Colorado.

I've always thought the arctic fossils were cool such as Nanuqsaurus or the Cambrian Lagerstätte in Greenland. No idea where or what you could buy though.

Perhaps some arctic members could help. @AK hiker @Sjfriend

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Please make any seller recommendations via private message.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

All of the Nanuqsaurus material (as far as I know) comes from the Colville River.  The dinosaur beds are about 100 miles south of the Arctic Ocean and all of it is on BLM lands, so it would be illegal to sell or even possess any of the Prince Creek Fm bones/teeth.  There is plenty of coalified wood in some of the dinosaur beds up there.  That is not illegal to own.  Not pretty and it would not cut and polish at all.             

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  The arctic t-rex would be kind of cool but not really from the ocean obviously and especially no due to it being poached but really cool suggestion otherwise that I would totally want if it was obtainable legally.  To be honest, I'm not particularly concerned if its pretty or would polish nicely though that would be cool plus but not necessary. I will look into the Cambrian Lagerstätte later tonight when I have free time.  That might be interesting.  If anyone has suggestions for the Southern Ocean that would be helpful as well.  Hard to believe its easier to obtain samples from Mars then 2 of the 5 major oceans here on earth!  If anyone wants to contact me by private message with something they don't want to or can't share publicly feel free to do so.

Edited by cutgrindpolish

Pretty much all land near the Arctic in Alaska is either government or Native Corporation owned. So almost no access for vertebrate fossils up there. At least, I'm not aware of any :shrug:Being that it is over 1000 miles away via "fun" roads I've never dug too in depth into it.

PM sent but felt would be helpful for all to see:

Alaska has very restrictive fossil collecting laws on state and federal ground in that you may not sell or trade any invertebrate fossils you find on public property. There is no collecting of vertebrate fossils from any pubic property. The only way to purchase fossils from Alaska would be from those obtained from private property which is very limited in persons doing this. An internet search may find what you are looking for or even better come to Alaska and find your own. Just be sure you research where you intend to collect as I mentioned previously there are parks, preserves, national wildlife refuges... that no collecting is allowed. BLM has information that is helpful as they do allow invertebrate fossils to be collected in small amounts for personnel education. For arctic located fossils- corrals, brachiopods, gastropods are present  and possible to find along the Dalton Highway (pipeline haul road). Rockhounding Alaska: A guide to 75 of the State's Best Rockhounding Sites is excellent reference if you come to Alaska. Hope this helped.

Cheers;

Bob

F8858E9A-2A27-403B-AB59-5DFE39A72601.thumb.jpeg.a463617e49c6f78a6accbeb683896e15.jpeg

Crinoid? 

1392B22E-B296-498A-A42A-8356800CCD87.thumb.jpeg.f1d3dbc73ac6fa5e3064957f99b90720.jpeg

Coral river rocks on the Canning River

875A128F-3C7D-4F50-ADA9-E1E3B8B543C2.thumb.jpeg.fe8fe9f49af8ea8b3cb6ed82277912c3.jpeg

Gastropod Colville River

F9909989-A200-4E4B-BE5D-50AC4E3BCFAD.thumb.jpeg.3546236f3f3e287c46cb486cf3eb768a.jpeg

Dinosaur bone on the Colville River-Cretaceous with more recent Cenozoic pelecypods.

All these fossils were left in place on this trip due to land status of where they were. 

• I found this Informative 3