Pregnant Keichousaurus?

Ezio Bonsignore

This is described as a female Keichousaurus carrying an embryo in her womb. Apart from other possible issues with the specimen as such, is this conceivably possible? Were Keichos viviparous? And would the embryo's soft tissue be preserved?

baby 1.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

They were viviparous. Soft tissues would not be preserved, only skeletal material.

I have seen several examples of pregnant Keichousaurs.

The preparation on this is poor, and there is quite a bit of paint on it.

I do see some skeletal remains in the belly area, however.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, Keichousaurus is ovoviviparous.  Specimens with embryos are not common, in particular the well preserved ones, like the attached specimen which shows a number of embryos.  The one you showed is badly prepped by acid and mechanical means, though I can see the remains of one embryo.

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7715.PNG

• I found this Informative 6

Hello,

Don't know if I'm allowed to reply (so if not please delete my comment) but I'm the owner of the piece. I did also expected to see this here :rolleyes:and I think this can be useful for many users

Yes this is real, and unfortunately it has the usual Chinese preparation  done with strong acid (I wish it was better prepared but the embryo is still well visible).

Keichousaurus probably used to practice cannibalism (as many others nothosaurids) but this is clearly a pregnancy.

I can get you more info about this specific fossil and also about Keichousaurus pregnancy in general. 

Also I'd like to say that, although bad preparation, there is no paint over it, I inspected and repeatedly washed it with acetone. I also have some experience with keichos. I'll get you some very interesting pictures by private message if you want them

Edited by glu
  • I found this Informative 3

Sorry,  phone auto-corrector :DOH: Posted without reading it, edited now!

10 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

What’s that then? Sounds interesting.

• Thank You 1

Many thanks for all the info - I would have never imagined for Keichos being viviparous!

Also, thanks to Glu for his intervention and clarifications. But,  are you sure we are talking about the same item? I ask because the auction site lists it

as being located in Taiwan, while you appear being located in Italy. Now that is none of my business, of course, but I would like to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I'm totally sure it is mine. Check it again, as the auction site list it as being located in Italy (see the Italian flag next to the seller name). You should also see where I'm located exactly (as I added local pick up as an option)

Yes, you are right, I got mixed up with another auction I'm following on the same site. My apologies.