Bison or Bossy ?

Rockwood

Found in gravel wash of Johnson Creek in Arlington, Texas. About a mile east of Texas 360.

They feel like fossils to me. And I don't notice stink over a flame. Is the size right for a bison ?

IMG_5482 (2).JPG

IMG_5483 (2).JPG

IMG_5484 (2).JPG

Going by the width,  dorsal groove, and lack of swelling on distal end of metasarsal my guess is bovid.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Going by the width,  dorsal groove, and lack of swelling on distal end of metasarsal my guess is bovid.

By noting the lack of swelling on the distal end I'm assuming you meant to say bos since they are both bovid ;)

I was thinking bison for the same reason. The swelling is less noticeable on the metatarsal than on a metacarpal so there may be enough present for bison. It can be a very subtle distinction. I don't know what to look for in the dorsal groove.

This quote from @Thomas.Dodson.         This is Bison. The swelling of the distal condyles, the poorly developed dorsal groove along the shaft, and the curve of the anterior articular surface are all characteristic of Bison over Bos.                         The bone is mine,  the comparison is from Harry,  and yes I confused my B's but I'm thinking it's not Bison compared to mine. 

IMG_20210416_233159583.thumb.jpg.9b7a718ce19df92f39faa1eb6949b062.jpg

bison_bos_metatarsals_dorsal.JPG.99e9c947aa6c93b210aaba32ee1f1062.jpeg

IMG_20210416_233213837.thumb.jpg.6e8b2db478b37536b6b032475ae3c338.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter

:Confused05:

I think I'm going to put my posterior back in bed and think about it in the anterior part of tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

This quote from @Thomas.Dodson.         This is Bison. The swelling of the distal condyles, the poorly developed dorsal groove along the shaft, and the curve of the anterior articular surface are all characteristic of Bison over Bos.                         The bone is mine,  the comparison is from Harry,  and yes I confused my B's but I'm thinking it's not Bison compared to mine. 

IMG_20210416_233159583.thumb.jpg.9b7a718ce19df92f39faa1eb6949b062.jpg

bison_bos_metatarsals_dorsal.JPG.99e9c947aa6c93b210aaba32ee1f1062.jpeg

IMG_20210416_233213837.thumb.jpg.6e8b2db478b37536b6b032475ae3c338.jpg

Your bone is a metacarpal where Rockwood's is a metatarsal so the width and bulkiness isn't as good an indicator. That said, I'm more inclined to say Bos for Rockwood's specimen. That's a pretty strong groove. There are a couple other ways to tell between the two on metatarsals but one is the articular surface which is rather worn.

You can take measurements to see the greatest proximal width. The place of greatest width is supposed to be different between the two. The dorso-plantar depth of the medial condyle is also supposed to be measurably bigger than the lateral one in Bison.

Condyles.png.9ae78eb33463844848c1d164192acca2.png

GPW.png.d648f6597e7f328561d8a768d62afa37.png

• I found this Informative 2

Everything inc. in my reply was from post I did last year on that bone and no one corrected me at the time that it wasn't a metatarsal. Still learning, always learning. :)

Aside from being the opposite leg I see a much better comparison with bison on every comparison suggested myself.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Oops. I forgot. Don't be such a sour contrarian.

Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone. :)

EASY there on those resolutions !!! I could lose kindred spirits left and right. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

34 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

EASY there on those resolutions !!!

No worries. Everyone is still wrong. I'll just be a bit more polite when I tell them so. -_-

• Enjoyed 1

• 6 months later...