Beautiful Bryozoan or coral colony

Frank Eaton

This is one of my favorite oddities: it’s a spherical colony of bryozoans from the York River of Virginia. You’ll see from the closeup that’s it’s layers upon layers of colonies. There’s no telling how deep they go… is there a pebble at the center? Anything at all? 

Specimen is 7cm. 

It’s tricky to find ID’s for these, but I’m curious if this is an encrusting bryozoan or a coral. Also, it’s just neat and wanted to share. 

Frank

8B449D10-7BB3-48DC-BF0F-A2F197791B58.jpeg

D7755706-8658-4FC2-A14E-2A1679021EC3.jpeg

Edited by Frank Eaton
Changed site collection from James to York River
  • Enjoyed 9

26 minutes ago, Frank Eaton said:

is there a pebble at the center? Anything at all? 

These colonies usually start on a solid surface like a rock or shell.

2 hours ago, Frank Eaton said:

It’s tricky to find ID’s for these, but I’m curious if this is an encrusting bryozoan or a coral. Also, it’s just neat and wanted to share. 

Frank

It is not a coral. Bryozoan.
Do you know the stratigraphic position of the specimen?

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, oyo said:

It is not a coral. Bryozoan.
Do you know the stratigraphic position of the specimen?

I picked it up on the bank of the York River just upstream from Yorktown. Totally unassociated with anything.

10 hours ago, Frank Eaton said:

This is one of my favorite oddities: it’s a spherical colony of bryozoans from the York River of Virginia. You’ll see from the closeup that’s it’s layers upon layers of colonies. There’s no telling how deep they go… is there a pebble at the center? Anything at all? 

Specimen is 7cm. 

Frank

8B449D10-7BB3-48DC-BF0F-A2F197791B58.jpeg

D7755706-8658-4FC2-A14E-2A1679021EC3.jpeg

Nature's art in the form of a bryozoan colony.  Yes, it is beautiful.  Thanks for posting

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 hours ago, Frank Eaton said:

I picked it up on the bank of the York River just upstream from Yorktown. Totally unassociated with anything.

It's a very nice specimen. It's a pity that there is no stratigraphic information to investigate about it. The specimen would deserve it.

It reminds me a lot of some Pliocene bryozoans from southern Spain.

Edited by oyo
  • I Agree 1

It's a nice bryolith! :)

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

A little question, how far is Chuckatuck (Virginia) from the place where your bryozoo was found?
I ask for this:

1.jpg

Acanthodesia

2.png

Consider it a long shot.

Biblio:

From list of Chuckatuck's briozoan-

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255709168_Evidence_of_El_NinoLa_Nina-Southern_Os_cillation_variability_in_the_Neogene-_Pleistocene_of_Panama_revealed_by_a_new_bryozoan_asse_mblage-base_d_proxy

From image Acanthodesia-

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331608306_Anomia-associated_bryozoans_from_the_upper_Pliocene_Piacenzian_lower_Tamiami_Formation_of_Florida_USA/link/5c876c61299bf1e02e2892a8/download

Edited by oyo
  • Thank You 1