The Amateur Paleontologist

Hi everyone :)

Okay so, long story short, at my university we have loads of different societies for different interests and topics. Thing is, there's no paleontology society, so I got together with some friends to go about starting one. We're planning it as a general kind of association, open to all students to promote more accessible appreciation for the history of life...

We're still in the experimental phase (so we're not even an official society yet!), and right now we're just working on organising the logistics, budget etc...

One of the activities we're proposing for the society is a sort of "fossil preparation" workshop, where members can learn safely to extract fossils from (soft) matrix. No pneumatic, or high-tech tools will be involved, just simple dental picks.

I was wondering, would some of the UK people here know from where I can buy, in bulk, common fossils that are partially in a matrix or rock. Are there any good suppliers of this kind of stuff? @TqB @Pterygotus @Welsh Wizard @Birdman @JohnBrewer @DE&i

On another issue, perhaps more complex... We're also planning on organising day-trips to go fossil hunting at some noteworthy sites in south England (Dover, Folkestone, Lyme Regis etc). I'm wondering about the logistics involved with this. How difficult would it be to get risk assessments sorted out, or should it rather be one of the people from the staff at my uni who takes care of this? And also, how difficult/expensive is it to get a bus hired for ~30 people for a day trip, with 2-3hr travel going and returning? I know there are some fossil/science educators on here, what are your thoughts? @fossilsonwheels @KansasFossilHunter

Thank you so much for your help, guys. :)

Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I have organized a few trips in your neck of the woods and a day bus rental.  The one quote UI can find easily in my disorganized system is a one day rental from Lyme to London at 650 pounds.  Divide that by 30 people and you are not doing too badly.  PM me if you want more details.  

Unfortunately I can’t help with any logistical questions that you have. We took our fossils to the schools or venues. We didn’t do any field work programs or deal with arranging transportation though I think what you are talking about sounds awesome. Good luck and I look forward to seeing future posts about it. 

10 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Hi everyone :)

Okay so, long story short, at my university we have loads of different societies for different interests and topics. Thing is, there's no paleontology society, so I got together with some friends to go about starting one. We're planning it as a general kind of association, open to all students to promote more accessible appreciation for the history of life...

We're still in the experimental phase (so we're not even an official society yet!), and right now we're just working on organising the logistics, budget etc...

One of the activities we're proposing for the society is a sort of "fossil preparation" workshop, where members can learn safely to extract fossils from (soft) matrix. No pneumatic, or high-tech tools will be involved, just simple dental picks.

I was wondering, would some of the UK people here know from where I can buy, in bulk, common fossils that are partially in a matrix or rock. Are there any good suppliers of this kind of stuff? @TqB @Pterygotus @Welsh Wizard @Birdman @JohnBrewer @DE&i

On another issue, perhaps more complex... We're also planning on organising day-trips to go fossil hunting at some noteworthy sites in south England (Dover, Folkestone, Lyme Regis etc). I'm wondering about the logistics involved with this. How difficult would it be to get risk assessments sorted out, or should it rather be one of the people from the staff at my uni who takes care of this? And also, how difficult/expensive is it to get a bus hired for ~30 people for a day trip, with 2-3hr travel going and returning? I know there are some fossil/science educators on here, what are your thoughts? @fossilsonwheels @KansasFossilHunter

Thank you so much for your help, guys. :)

Christian

Good luck with your venture.

I can’t help with logistics as I’ve not organised large group outings.

I’m not sure whether there are any suppliers of bulk unprepped material in the U.K. as it’s not the sort of thing I’m on the look out for.

There are a few Yorkshire based collectors who do sell unprepped stuff. Send me a PM and I can give you some names but postage may be pricey.

Nick

In U.K. risk assessment are normally under taken by two people . Been that fossil hunting has its real dangers,  Risk assessment are important paperwork. I would leave it to the course leader and staff to complete. 

There used to be a fossil whole seller in Bristol but I can’t remember their name ( google it).

Edited by Bobby Rico

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to get in touch with y'all if I need additional help. :)

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile