Reptile Fossil ID Please

darksky

Dear members:

I wish I could say that I found this myself but I actually purchased it from an estate sale. There was no identification paperwork that came along with it but my own research online leads me to believe that it may be a Keichousaurus. I’ve examined the matrix carefully with magnification and I see enough continuation of strata from the surface down the sides and I even scraped away some matrix next to ribs to determine that this was not a fake or reproduction.  So any help in confirming the identification would be appreciated. It seems to me that this is a pretty nice specimen and probably from China but I do wonder if it’s fairly common or if it is an example of a special specimen. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I hope the photographs are adequate.

7D1A751B-75BC-46AC-B5CA-FB518F43E173.jpeg

21AB39DC-7856-4374-984E-DBB811B5E111.jpeg

7BCD5DA5-5BC8-4A43-A4E6-82F43B6E916E.jpeg

319EF1D3-646A-4215-8004-5D84AEF4FEC9.jpeg

6A9B981E-C391-433F-9FD5-06DB96561231.jpeg

Edited by darksky
spelling

From what I've seen online, this is a commonly sold copy of an artwork. This isn't even cast from a real fossil, instead this is a miniature replica of a Permian Cotylorhynchus fossil, the general shape and position was based on that fossil. But even so, it is not anatomically accurate to Cotylorhynchus and is obviously much smaller than the original.

Basically: complete fabrication not a fossil

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Here's an image of the fossil I brought up. Notice how the position of the tail, limbs and head are identical to yours but that the actual shape of the bones is nothing like the original:

220px-Cotylorhynchus_romeri.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Thanks so much folks. It looked too perfect and from what I remember I paid about $120 for it so what can you do. By the way I bought a bridge in Brooklyn that I’m pretty excited about! Yeah

• Enjoyed 1

You can always charge a toll on the bridge.:unsure:

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Yes great idea. I can open a fossil museum on the other side and this “Genuine Replica” will be my centerpiece. Hey folks if you don’t like it go see the giant ball of tinfoil in Iowa. Really I do appreciate the great feedback here and the truth is the truth and that’s all I came here for. 

3 hours ago, darksky said:

Thanks so much folks. It looked too perfect and from what I remember I paid about $120 for it so what can you do. By the way I bought a bridge in Brooklyn that I’m pretty excited about! Yeah

I could have given you a much better deal on the one in San Francisco. Oh well, you live, you learn. Much cheaper than the $1300 lesson I learned about ancient coins, and that was 50 years ago.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I am trying to get my deposit back on that bridge in Pittsburgh Darnit! It’s kind of like Buying a genuine gold clad buffalo nickel with a limit of two orders per caller. I’ll be more careful next time and I am really glad I found this forum. I’m hoping to get to Calvert county in Maryland and maybe find some megalodon teeth.