Mosasaur jaw from New Jersey

kmac

Hello everyone! This is a partial mosasaur jaw with other associated bones i found in the Early-Mid Campanian Woodbury Formation of New Jersey over the summer. One of my best finds to date. 

mosasaur total.jpg

mosasaur 2.jpg

mosasaur.jpg

• Enjoyed 18

Nice find.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Extremely rare and well preserved!

Congratulations on this one!

@Carl  @frankh8147

• Thank You 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Extremely rare and well preserved!

Congratulations on this one!

@Carl  @frankh8147

Thank you! I have another find from this summer that was about 5 feet from this one. I'll post it here once i have some pictures on my computer 

• Enjoyed 1

:popcorn:

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That is an extremely rare New Jersey find, and far as I know, there aren't many sites in the Woodbury that produce anything. I think it would be wise to inform Dave Parrish at the New Jersey State Museum of this. Big congrats. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

That is an extremely rare New Jersey find, and far as I know, there aren't many sites in the Woodbury that produce anything. I think it would be wise to inform Dave Parrish at the New Jersey State Museum of this. Big congrats. 

Thanks! This outcrop of the Woodbury is quite diverse in terms of inverts and vert fauna. Ralph Johnson from MAPS was with me when I found it but i have not shown Dave. Perhaps I'll bring it his way when I am back in NJ thanks!

Could it be that I saw this somewhere before already? Instagram, Reddit? Seems very familiar, and with such a unique fossil can't imagine it having been another! Absolutely astounding find in any case! Beautiful jaw, and indeed, incredibly rare for NJ! Love it! :wub:

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks everyone for the heads' up! I am familiar with this find :)

Kyle - this is a GREAT website for you! Much more scientific than what you're used to!

Edited by frankh8147
  • Enjoyed 1

• 6 months later...

Just revisiting this, but, in case you don't have an ID yet, thought I'd add that the morphology of the teeth and age would suggest this is Clidastes sp.. Again, astonishing find! :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 8:13 PM, kmac said:

Hello everyone! This is a partial mosasaur jaw with other associated bones i found in the Early-Mid Campanian Woodbury Formation of New Jersey over the summer. One of my best finds to date. 

mosasaur total.jpg

mosasaur 2.jpg

mosasaur.jpg

This is awesome!