Lance Formation Vertebra

Nanotyrannus35

I had found this vertebra in the box of matrix I'd gotten for my birthday. I think that it might be either a crocodile or a Pachycephalosaurus caudal vertebra, I was hoping that you guys might be able to identify it. It was found in the Lance formation of Weston County, Wyoming. Here are the pictures. Scale is in millimeters. Thanks for any help!

IMG_3918.thumb.JPG.dbcb4c9f45b944771d9703f93dc03ed5.JPGIMG_3922.thumb.JPG.2cbe39e561927d5659199658bdfff000.JPGIMG_3921.thumb.JPG.a6d378570ca486fbf1db8232d10562d9.JPGIMG_3919.thumb.JPG.fecd95c29c292776e0941f25324dabbd.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Oooh, that is about as generic as a Lance vert can get.  Not a croc.  Looks like a tail vert of some dinosaur.  Does it have chevron attachment points on the bottom side?  troodon might be able to say which dino it is.   

I just noticed that there is indeed a photo of the bottom side.  I do not see an obvious chevron attachment point, but the edges are pretty worn.  Even without the chevron points, I still think it is a caudal. 

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

Oooh, that is about as generic as a Lance vert can get.  Not a croc.  Looks like a tail vert of some dinosaur.  Does it have chevron attachment points on the bottom side?  troodon might be able to say which dino it is.   

Not sure, the bottom side is just smooth. What would a chevron attachment point look like?

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

I have collected numerous distal caudal vertebrae from Edmontosaurus that have that foramen in the center and the shape somewhat fits.   Thats my top suggestion it its indeed pretty generic

ed.thumb.JPG.33f33c60d72c2492ae15f018087b31f0.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1