post photos of fake fossils (any fossil)

joaoarguello3

Hi all. A few days ago I found someone in a facebook group asking about a trilobite fossil if it was fake or real, to which everyone replied that it was fake, it made me very curious since I'm a beginner and I thought it was a good idea if in this section you can publish photos of fossils that you know are fake or replicas and what they rely on to reach that conclusion, in this way it serves as support for the fans, greetings to all and a hug. Here I leave the photos of the trilobite from the facebook post

FB_IMG_1641934627473.jpg

FB_IMG_1641934624653.jpg

FB_IMG_1641934622542.jpg

FB_IMG_1641934620544.jpg

FB_IMG_1641934618470.jpg

FB_IMG_1641934616243.jpg

2 hours ago, joaoarguello3 said:

I'm a beginner and I thought it was a good idea if in this section you can publish photos of fossils that you know are fake or replicas and what they rely on to reach that conclusion

With all due respect @joaoarguello3, the "Is It Real" sub forum is full of hundreds of examples that accomplish what you request.  ;)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 6

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

So as John pointed out “is it real “ these threads go into more details and we know “the devil's in the detail“. There are years of knowledge in these posts

For fun here is an old school style fake they don’t make them like this anymore. The skull and jaw fragments actually came from two different species, a human and an ape, probably an orangutan. The teeth had been filed down to make them look more human. 

Piltdown man is one fake I would like to have in my collection.

4DE20CBB-7838-4DAA-B9E3-3E641D18EB3F.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 3

@joaoarguello3 Welcome to the Forum. Please explore this topic in depth. You will be astonished at the amount of information that will be found. It is one of the more extensive, well used sections of the Forum. Of course, not all images posted are of "fakes." Often the fossil submitted and pictured is deemed genuine. The detail given as to the characteristics contributing to each decision given, varies greatly; but often, tips and techniques of evaluation are revealed. 

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See