Not the usual worms

Lone Hunter

I have numerous worm tunnels, casts, an body fossils that are all very similar from Eagle Ford,  then I found the one with black squiggles that is very different, is it just the preservation that is different or is it something else?   The other one is from Grayson marl which I'm not as familiar with,  the rather delicate branching structure has no resemblance to the worm tunnels/fossils I'm used to finding, is it something else or different species of worm perhaps?

IMG_20220203_205044649.jpg

IMG_20220203_205729416.jpg

IMG_20220203_205211038~2.jpg

IMG_20220203_205341687.jpg

IMG_20220203_205430303.jpg

IMG_20220203_205415106~2.jpg

The first one looks a bit like fish poo (coprolite).

The second like the scratches seen in some trace fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

The second may be close to Chondrites intricatus, but it's just a guess.

d33aed5b-a133-4b89-9807-9fcfba3e3e6b.thumb.jpg.7ee0859960262a5c33e507fff0034541.jpg

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Maybe the first one is a meandering graphoglyptid trace fossil, something in the line of Spirocosmorhaphe/Cosmorhaphe ?

firstPage-S0022336000041032a.thumb.jpg.5c4fe755e0ce507056c4173029a94b54.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I think @TqB got it, cephalopod/gastropod coprolite.  

Snail-Poop-6-1.jpg

Is your specimen flat? How it looks in cross section? Do you know why is it black in color?

• I Agree 1

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Do you know why is it black in color?

Cephalopod ink rather than coprolite has been suggested for some black occurrences like this. I don't know what it is - my suggestion was just a suggestion. :)

• Enjoyed 1

Tarquin

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Is your specimen flat?

Yes it is flat,  but the edges stick up a little, almost looks deflated is best way to describe it.  Here's a better image.

IMG_20220205_155320679.jpg

IMG_20220205_155906141.jpg

18 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Yes it is flat,  but the edges stick up a little, almost looks deflated is best way to describe it.  Here's a better image.

IMG_20220205_155320679.jpg

IMG_20220205_155906141.jpg

Is it one continuous string which is fragmented or there are more strings?

The specimen is very flat. Thank you for the pictures.

Thomas Mann

My Library

I suspect this was at one time pyritized and has degraded to a less stable iron based film.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

32 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I suspect this was at one time pyritized and has degraded to a less stable iron based film.

Would help toward coprolite ID ?

Just now, Rockwood said:

Would help toward coprolite ID ?

Not necessarily.  It could be a number of things from a trace fossil to poo.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Is it one continuous string which is fragmented or there are more strings?

It appears to be several strings that have fragmented,  which snail and fish poo both do.  I'm wondering why, if this is coprolite of some kind, it isn't seen more often ?

It would be interesting to see if the dark colored objects proceed into the rock. Perhaps we are looking at edges of something.

I wondered the same thing, I was able to scrape some off with a knife and it's only on the surface.

• Thank You 1

It looks like the specimen continues under a covering layer of sediment.

Lumbricaria, with the known ichnospecies, has a long, sinuous one string shape with a circular transverse section. Sometimes there could be a manganese growth/cover on them, but rarely (if I look to the Solnhofen specimens I have in my collection). Also, they (in my collection) are not so flat like the specimen in question and are not black in color (sometimes  are gray). In my opinion, the specimen here is not Lumbricaria ( L. Intestinum, L. colon). It could be flat because of a diagenetic compaction and could be black due to a phosphatic content like the Oligocene teleost fish coprolites from the Menilite Formation of Poland.

2124710235_Coprolites-from-the-Dynow-Marl-Member-of-the-Menilite-Formation-A-MWGUW-ZI-75-012-B(1).png.2a9bb30105ad73c3047082fbfee77f4b.png

In my thinking, I would lean toward fish coprolites, but I could be wrong.

Btw, Lumbricaria contains saccocomid remains.

Edited by abyssunder

Thomas Mann

My Library