Rappahannock creek and beach

Rowboater

Pickings at the beaches are still slim lately (a few coprolite burrows), and I haven't been out as much as I would like.  Here are some of my findings from my last four trips or so to the fresh water creek I hunt.  There is at least one weird thing that I will probably post in the ID section; not sure it's a fossil, could be part of a leaf or an arthropod, looks fragile.

My prizes are a 2"+ mako (blade is in good shape, root is there but rough) and another cow shark tooth (I thought I counted 7 points but not clear in the photo.  Several angel shark and drum teeth.  A few rough teeth, bones (maybe Tilly bones in a few cases).  A skate scute and two small vertebrae.  A bunch of small spikes (a couple with matrix attached?) and triangular teeth.  Always nice to be out.  The water's super cold from the snow melt but NO competition, and always great to be out in the woods.

Photo_2022-02-05_2.thumb.jpg.a896c08b1e94245c14c41a9b02eec7ee.jpg

Photo_2022-02-05_1.thumb.jpg.31a89d6693199af94e5cbaf4f0d2a941.jpg

• Enjoyed 10

Not a bad batch of finds, good variety.  Love the big Cosmopolitodus!  That's a trip-maker right there!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

• 2 weeks later...

@Reebs  Cowshark is my favorite (not common here).  Found one symphysial (no root, otherwise nice) years ago.  Have done reasonably well on them this year (maybe more gentle when screening?  Used to get mostly pieces.)

@hemipristis  The mako/great white was a pleasant surprise, nice 2" blade for a change, root not great.  I used to have a favorite beach that I collected  three to five nice makos a year, but since Covid (in Virginia fishing and hunting and other outdoor stuff was about all you could do), "my" beach has been over-run and pickings have been slim.  Used to be mostly kids looking for shark teeth, but now I don't see many kids.

Thanks everyone else for dropping by and checking out my finds (overdue for better!)