Fossils found in London Clay, Walton-On-The-Naze, Essex, England

StephenKuta

Hi everyone, I found these whilst beach combing for fossils at Walton-On-The-Naze, Essex, England just a few meters from the London Clay level. They are fossilised and look like vertebrae.

can anyone help identify which mammal they came from. They were found together in the same spot, stuck amongst pyrite and shingle. 

a big thank you in advance 

Stephen

537B9465-5D1F-4E1B-8379-96833C439843.jpeg

079B09FC-948D-4F2C-8B28-0C62C1C9306F.jpeg

Possibly sedimentary rocks with differential weathering (softer parts weather away faster than the harder ones).

• I Agree 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Hello Stephen,

Probably the specimens stayed on the seabed for a long time and were bioeroded before being washed ashore. The large boreholes were probably made by pholadid bivalves, which means the substrate is lithic or altered osteic.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder, Thank you for your answer, 

I had a look at fossils found in London clay and bony fish is definitely in there. 
These specimens are definitely fossilised, as they are as hard as rock. They were found in area that is a hot spot for prehistoric sharks teeth, mammoth etc… 

I will look to see what else I can find. A big thank you 

The London Clay preserves bone in phosphate, so they will appear black when you find them ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Hello StephenKuta and welcome to the forum.

searching close to such a promising spot makes everything look like a bone, happened to me before. These, as the other members stated are not bones regrettably. But go on searching there and chances are good that you find something real. Looking forwards to see it here!

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thank you, I appreciate the comment, and your very right. I will definitely be checking out the area a lot more. 
a big thank you