Megalodoodle

So I was wondering what gear you guys would recommend bringing to Mazonia. I know the brush is insanely thick, but I know very little beyond that. Oh, I also know digging isn’t allowed. Is it marshy in some areas? Do I need muck boots or waders (the kind fly fishermen use)? Is bug spray required? What is the best month to visit? Is the collecting better or worse after it rains? Should I bring sunscreen and bug spray? Any other tips for gear would be helpful in my never-ending quest for the elusive Tully Monster.

I do remember @Nimravis doing a really interesting thread about the nitty gritty of collecting MC . It you search the forum it should be around some where 

6 hours ago, Megalodoodle said:

So I was wondering what gear you guys would recommend bringing to Mazonia. I know the brush is insanely thick, but I know very little beyond that. Oh, I also know digging isn’t allowed. Is it marshy in some areas? Do I need muck boots or waders (the kind fly fishermen use)? Is bug spray required? What is the best month to visit? Is the collecting better or worse after it rains? Should I bring sunscreen and bug spray? Any other tips for gear would be helpful in my never-ending quest for the elusive Tully Monster.

Water resistant hiking boots are usually my go to. It's only marshy if you go near the lakes. If it's early in the year and still cold then bugs aren't a real concern, but once it starts warming up you really need to watch out for ticks. Most people don't go after May-ish (depends on the weather) as it gets too overgrown and too tick infested, although it is doable. I have gone in the dead of summer before, but it is miserable.

Are you planning on driving to Illinois from Virginia just for this? If so, I can already tell you that you will be very disappointed. Like, very very disappointed. I've probably been over a dozen times and I'm just starting to understand the better areas to hunt. It's a huge park.