Sauropod claw

Per Christian

Hello all 

I was offered this beauty from Sakaraha formation, Mid Jurassic (Bathonian) of Madagascar. It is ID'd as sauropod because there aren't any ornithopods known from the formation. What do people here say? It's 8 cm long .

Screenshot_20220208-073107.png   Screenshot_20220208-073057.png

Screenshot_20220208-073113.png   Screenshot_20220208-073119.png

Screenshot_20220208-073510~2.png

Very little is known or published from the Isalo IIIb formation most of which focuses on Sauropods.  These claws are typically sold as Sauropod but we really do not know what they are from could also be an Ornithopod.  Just because none have been described it does not mean they do not exist and are typically found in Jurassic deposit. 

My biggest issue with any material from Madagascar is Provenance.  Cretaceous and late Jurassic exposures are close and I'm concerned if locals diggers know how to distinguish between them and then it passes through several hands before it get to a collector.   Have they provided you a specific locality like  Ambondromamy, Tsinjorano, and Port–Berge where this was found?

Anyway nice claw, needs cleaning but be open that it might not be what its claimed.

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Very little is known or published from the Isalo IIIb formation most of which focuses on Sauropods.  These claws are typically sold as Sauropod but we really do not know what they are from could also be an Ornithopod.  Just because none have been described it does not mean they do not exist and are typically found in Jurassic deposit. 

My biggest issue with any material from Madagascar is Provenance.  Cretaceous and late Jurassic exposures are close and I'm concerned if locals diggers know how to distinguish between them and then it passes through several hands before it get to a collector.   Have they provided you a specific locality like  Ambondromamy, Tsinjorano, and Port–Berge where this was found?

Anyway nice claw, needs cleaning but be open that it might not be what its claimed.

Thank you! I'll inquire about exact location. The claw is quite ornithopod like, so it seems a bit like a gamble yes.. do you have a gut feeling on this claw whether it seems more likely it's sauropod or ornithopod? 

If you like the claw acquire it.   Research articles come out all of the time that might shed some light on it.   I would first want feel comfortable with the provenance than the ID.   No gut feeling on items from Madagascar they have very unusual critters like Razanandrongobe and little is known from the mid jurassic.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

If you like the claw acquire it.   Research articles come out all of the time that might shed some light on it.   I would first want feel comfortable with the provenance than the ID.   No gut feeling on items from Madagascar they have very unusual critters like Razanandrongobe and little is known from the mid jurassic.

Location i got is Ambondromamy 

No its the standard locality used by sellers for Isalo III material but its what I said above. "Cretaceous and late Jurassic exposures are close and I'm concerned if locals diggers know how to distinguish between them and then it passes through several hands before it get to a collector"  Just a concern

• I found this Informative 1