Unknown Seed pod? I found over a decade ago, on the beach in the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica

rmorg

Cacao pod looks similar.

cocoa-pod-open.jpg.b4bd9554d848bdd9d9e74d415c50e21c.jpgIMG_5209.jpg.8b880d11d94c5c177a84d7f7b3a5504e.thumb.jpg.becb42427227d1dcfa2743982c1064a9.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

no idea what that is but it is pretty cool.

thanks for commenting! really hoping to get this ID, so far everyone has been stumped! 

1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

Cacao pod looks similar.

maybe I could sell it to some cacao mogul and pay off my student loans:rolleyes:

• Enjoyed 3

Look for other revenue streams....

The uniformity of the matrix, bumps on the reverse side, and the patterns suggest this is some form of bioturbation.  I would guess this is likely a trace fossil of invertebrate activity...and a very cool one at that.  

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It looks a little bit suspicious to me.

Maybe it's a nice carving in fossiliferous sandstone, a piece of art?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Its fascinating and I sure dont know what it is either! 

The lighter colored finer grained clay like objects/area on the reverse side that John mentions intrigue me alot. What appears to be that same material being included in the mold/cast of the object itself is also interesting. And its all within a coarser/sandier looking matrix making me wonder about the taphonomy to create such a specimen.  I like Abyssunder's possibility. 

I think someone would have to look at that closer unless similar objects have already been found/described from the area. 

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Its fascinating and I sure dont know what it is either! 

The lighter colored finer grained clay like objects/area on the reverse side that John mentions intrigue me alot. What appears to be that same material being included in the mold/cast of the object itself is also interesting. And its all within a coarser/sandier looking matrix making me wonder about the taphonomy to create such a specimen.  I like Abyssunder's possibility. 

I think someone would have to look at that closer unless similar objects have already been found/described from the area. 

Regards, Chris 

To be fair I spent 10 years of childhood in this area turning over every rock looking for sea life. I have never found any similar fossils in years exploring the area it was found. 

Who would you recommend I bring this to for farther investigation? 

I would first look to see if Costa Rica or neighboring countries have a Museum or a university with a paleo / geology dept. They would be most likely to have someone, or know of one, with knowledge of local finds

5 hours ago, rmorg said:

To be fair I spent 10 years of childhood in this area turning over every rock looking for sea life. I have never found any similar fossils in years exploring the area it was found. 

Who would you recommend I bring this to for farther investigation? 

Nice! I did the same thing investigating as a kid everywhere I lived. I still do. 

So I shot a note off  and got confirmation it does look like a fruit valve of a ginger plant relative with impressions of closely packed seeds. Trying to get further expert analysis within that specialty group.  Cant confirm sedimentary rock or creative artwork from the pictures.  More if I hear it..

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

As both ends are enclosed by the rock I cannot see this as creative artwork. But it is extraordinary enough to warrant the suggestion.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

As both ends are enclosed by the rock I cannot see this as creative artwork. But it is extraordinary enough to warrant the suggestion.

I understand the hesitancy. I should have added that I have actually made small stepping stones out of ready mix concrete and also used plaster of paris as well and pressed plant material into the wet medium to create impressions/shapes/forms designs. Depending on how deep you press you can get that sort of overlap. I am actually still planning on creating a bird bath basin for the back yard from a large Peace Lily-- Spathiphyllum var 'Sensation' leaf impression.  I know I'm crazy but it keeps me busy. I wish I could see the matrix of that thing up close to see the matrix--that lighter area stumps me.. I am hoping its the real deal!!

Regards, Chris