jikohr

Hi everyone!

I speaking with a fossil dealer about potentially purchasing a big claw from Morocco It doesn't look like it's fake or restored the question is the id. 

Can anyone offer insight if it's deltadromaeus, dromaesaur, or something else? It measures a bit over 2.5 inches along the curve.

Thanks as always!

IMG_9320.thumb.JPG.7eb42c20bb25914776441a714f63c7bc.JPGIMG_9321.thumb.JPG.3fffa28db67286a2084b62b34c7fa7aa.JPGIMG_9315.thumb.JPG.a06e5f2381dcf15c1288f2ce58f1c7b7.JPGIMG_6774.jpg.9b8a50b89e9db4851fb20004daf57043.jpgIMG_6777.jpg.311eeaa2bae7c2350d2224ac1084f473.jpg

IMG_6775.jpg

IMG_6776.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

I don't know a lot about dinosaurs but that looks suspiciously like two different claw pieces gummed together to make one Frankenstein.  I would yield to the expertise of the dinosaur collectors who know Moroccan material well.  It looks a little too elongated to me and the groove looks like it's a little interrupted at about the mid-point.

• I Agree 1

Oof yeah, that looks very off. This is a bit of a mixed bag

The vertebra is a croc caudal.

The tooth looks fine and is probably abelisaurid.

The phalange does look like theropod. But hard to say which theropod.

And then there's the claw. It definitely looks partially constructed.

What it looks like, is that they found a real claw tip. But because it wasn't complete enough they decided to fill in the missing 70% of the claw with random bone and glue. The anatomy of it is all wrong. But yeah the tip itself does look real.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

32 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Oof yeah, that looks very off. This is a bit of a mixed bag

The vertebra is a croc caudal.

The tooth looks fine and is probably abelisaurid.

The phalange does look like theropod. But hard to say which theropod.

And then there's the claw. It definitely looks partially constructed.

What it looks like, is that they found a real claw tip. But because it wasn't complete enough they decided to fill in the missing 70% of the claw with random bone and glue. The anatomy of it is all wrong. But yeah the tip itself does look real.

Thanks man! I kinda figured.

All has been said and will add that most theropod claws in the K K are indeterminate so trying to put a genus/ species name to any is not doable, we know very little.  We can put family names to Spinosaurids, Abelisaurid foot claws and Carcharodontosaurids claws

but thats about it.  We suspect but don't even have scientific evidence about the presence of Dromaeosaurids.  So if you're in hunt for claws and teeth keep posting your interests before you buy.  Lots of misidentified and tampered with material is out there.

• I found this Informative 2