egg shell

EggFan

I enjoy egg and eggshell and wish to buy this. It is from Hell Creek. I don't have any from there. Does anyone know if it is actually eggshell and actually from there?

I do not know where ID of triveratops comes from. Seller says was done by paleontoligst and he is relying on their info which they got by comparing to Asian eggshells (protoceratops maybe?).  Unless a Triceratops nest has been discovered? I do not think so. Seller took extra photos, but throgh the glass of the frame as he could not open it. Picture 1 look like oviraptor-type eggshells to me. As does picture 3. Picture 2 is meant to be triceratops. I do not think so? It looks hadrosaur.

It is from Glendive, Montana.

I think much of it has been misidentified since letter refers to hadrosaur and labels say theropod.

IMG_4148.jpg

The pictures aren't large enough or of good enough quality to tell anything definitively, but I think they could quite likely be egg shell fragments, but from what and from where will not be possible to say. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Eggshells in the Hell Creek Formation are super rare and prized but not all are dinosaurian some are Crocodilian or Turtle.  So if these are from that locality a great find.  All eggsshells are not identified to a specific species but to what is called an oogenus or ootaxon since we cannot be certain who laid  them.  In the Hell Creek we are aware of Krokolithes which is an oogenus of Crocodiloid egg and  Testudoolithus is turtle.  In 2016 the first dinosaur egg was described and I've attached a topic with more info. 

So identifying what you have to an egg type might be very difficult even with better photos.

Here is the eggshell record as of 2016. 

The first four are dinosaurian

20161011_161032.thumb.png.2232e2abfd002cfc84c0bbb3b3dc7cb7.png.1aa0a544a5d85766b4475a1b97c7811c.png

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1