FBI return Croc Skull to Morocco.

Tidgy's Dad

33 minutes ago, jpc said:

I look at this and at troodon's tour of the Tucson show.  Is Morocco serious about making fossil exportation a crime?  

No.  I had discussions with several Moroccan dinosaur dealers and the they did not seem concerned with obtaining isolated material.  One said focus was more towards the Phosphate beds and lots of hand waving by new government.   Time will tell but no apparent change was visible at the Show.

Just now, jpc said:

I look at this and at troodon's tour of the Tucson show.  Is Morocco serious about making fossil exportation a crime?  

Just now, Troodon said:

No.  I had discussions with several Moroccan dinosaur dealers and the they did not seem concerned with obtaining isolated material.  One said focus was more towards the Phosphate beds and lots of hand waving by new government.   Time will tell but no apparent change was visible at the Show.

Last summer, I had two small parcels that I sent seized by customs. I need to purchase an export license from the Ministry of Mines. The two parcels were finally returned to me last week. 

Today, I have had a letter saying a parcel of fossils sent to me by @David in Japan is being held at Casablanca customs and I again have to contact the Customs office and give them authorization from The Ministry of Mines. 

I tried over a hundred times to call them in the summer, the local post office tried but they never answer their phone. I wrote them a letter but no response. This time I have been given an e-mail address so we shall see. :shrug:

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

authorization from The Ministry of Mines.

Holy Molly, you need an import licence now...:DOH:.

Glad, you already got two parcels with Austrian fossils...

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Holy Molly, you need an import licence now...:DOH:.

Glad, you already got two parcels with Austrian fossils...

Franz Bernhard

I don't know what's going on. 

Yup, very happy about the Austrian stuff, thank you :Smiling:

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Time will

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Last summer, I had two small parcels that I sent seized by customs. I need to purchase an export license from the Ministry of Mines. The two parcels were finally returned to me last week. 

Today, I have had a letter saying a parcel of fossils sent to me by @David in Japan is being held at Casablanca customs and I again have to contact the Customs office and give them authorization from The Ministry of Mines. 

I tried over a hundred times to call them in the summer, the local post office tried but they never answer their phone. I wrote them a letter but no response. This time I have been given an e-mail address so we shall see. :shrug:

Possibly the dealers use a very different channel and incentives are involved?  Time will tell. 

• I Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Update

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2022/03/347428/morocco-recovers-56-million-year-old-crocodile-fossil

57bc703d18a9e4b48def3fd4f41c08fa-800x533.jpg

And I have had a response from Moroccan customs saying that they are unable to estimate the value of fossils, so permission will be needed from the ministry of mines as well as a written explanation from me regarding a small box of fossil brachiopods (250 grams) from Japan. 

The Ministry of Mines in Morocco have still not responded to my attempts to contact them.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

19 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And I have had a response from Moroccan customs saying that they are unable to estimate the value of fossils, so permission will be needed from the ministry of mines as well as a written explanation from me regarding a small box of fossil brachiopods (250 grams) from Japan. 

The Ministry of Mines in Morocco have still not responded to my attempts to contact them.  

Ugh! :DOH:  That stinks Adam!  Hopefully they will figure it out sooner than later.  You would think if they wanted some taxes to import them they would figure it out quickly so they can collect.  

• I Agree 1