NEW JERSEY Shark tooth fossil identification

Pksuperfly

Can anyone help me identify the two sharks teeth I found this past year.  Both were found in the beaches in Northern Ocean County in New Jersey. Thank you! 

73FEC6A6-81A2-4A72-9A64-DDA8B035D30A.jpeg

16E11EAA-A714-4911-8AC4-EC2955AB77FE.jpeg

1192960E-E84D-415A-88DD-67E6EB057808.png

Edited by Pksuperfly
  • Enjoyed 1

• Pksuperfly changed the title to NEW JERSEY Shark tooth fossil identification**

Look flat and unserrated. Look like mako shark teeth to me. We have a similar shark tooth in Florida which is now considered to be an ancestor of the Great White so we've had to learn to call ours "white shark" teeth instead of "makos". I think those in New Jersey might be Miocene age Isurus desori (a mako shark). Others more familiar with fossil collecting in the NJ may step in to correct me.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Fossildude19 changed the title to NEW JERSEY Shark tooth fossil identification

It looks like there was some kind of serrated edge but it’s very worn.  Had to take a pic with my macro lens to see. 

80699B81-E5F8-4D7E-999A-EAB515BD99D0.jpeg

8CE24218-0768-4630-985B-76CC6F2085AA.jpeg

Ah, that changes things a bit! In Florida that would make this tooth a fossilized Great White (Carcharodon carcharias). Up in NJ this might be Carcharodon subauriculatus which may or may not be the same as Carcharodon chubutensis (this lineage of sharks seems to be in flux occasionally and I'm not certain of the latest thinking on this). This species would normally have small side cusps, one on either side of the main blade. Your teeth are quite worn which would have erased any evidence of the side cusps.

Here's a page I found that may be of use:

http://digsfossils.com/fossils/nj_shark_kirkwood.html

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1