Tarsal ?? Carpal ??

Shellseeker

I do not recognize this one.... Where is @Harry Pristis when I need him?  I heard that canids ALSO have tarsals  and carpals..  What else besides Bison, horse, camels  ??

IMG_4241ce.jpg

IMG_4243ce.jpg

IMG_4244ce.jpg

IMG_4245ce.jpg

IMG_4246ce.jpg

IMG_4247ce.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker
Trying to change title

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• Shellseeker changed the title to Tarsal ?? Carpal ??

I think it's a magnum, a carpal, with those two curved surfaces being where it articulates with the scaphoid and lunar (or scapholunar depending on the mammal order).  I haven't looked at bones in detail in a while. @fossillarry should take a look.

These are magnums from smilodon and atrox. Approximately right size from photos but not it's not obvious to me that they match.

(Felidae Rancho la Brea)

Screenshot_20220211-091813.jpg

1 hour ago, fossilus said:

These are magnums from smilodon and atrox. Approximately right size from photos but not it's not obvious to me that they match.

(Felidae Rancho la Brea)

Thank you for the trail to follow....

The measurements are smaller than smilodon or atrox. However, some smaller Dirk toothed cats are a possibility in Florida. Homotherium serum, and Xenosmilus hudsonae.

I am trying to line it up...  What do you see that I do not.  What told you that this is cat?

Magnum_merge.thumb.jpg.bd66c70355b9d3bd2df82dd8cade102c.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thank you for the trail to follow....

The measurements are smaller than smilodon or atrox. However, some smaller Dirk toothed cats are a possibility in Florida. Homotherium serum, and Xenosmilus hudsonae.

I am trying to line it up...  What do you see that I do not.  What told you that this is cat?

Magnum_merge.thumb.jpg.bd66c70355b9d3bd2df82dd8cade102c.jpg

No, I was just looking at the rough size. Yours didn't look to me like these but sometimes when it's in your hand you can make a match. 

I suspect there are many trails you could follow on this one.

1 hour ago, jlar7607 said:

Sent the picture to a knowledgeable friend he came back with Llama in about 5 seconds. You know who it is Jack

What part of a lamine camelid does your friend think it is?  IOW, which bone?

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, jlar7607 said:

he is not sure. looking at the neophytes guide it looks  like a intermediate carpal 90% sure pg 147   

There seems to be some significant similarity between these bones. What is this "Intermediate Carpal Bone" of Hemiauchenia macrocephala ?  I have never heard of it. @Harry Pristis @digit

IMG_4377.thumb.JPEG.077e3ef28b160300d1eb016fad0c1dc1.JPEGIMG_4376.thumb.JPEG.541b7a5eb1bd34c1ba811bf94845f7a7.JPEGIMG_4375.thumb.JPEG.5d3252c5c81af3f11b976d3938008761.JPEG

Edited by Shellseeker

"Intermediate carpal" is a veterinary term, not used by modern paleontologists.  It may equate to the lunate in horses and cows . . . Is that what's illustrated in the scans?  

Jack . . . Whence did the ID of Hemiauchenia macrocephala arise?  How do you distinguish between the two common lamine camelids, Paleolama and Hemiauchenia, even assigning a trivial name to the find!?  Are you relying on other fossils you find in the Peace River float?  Biochronology is unreliable when dealing with unassociated fossils from the float.  Carpals and tarsals have always been a challenge.  :look:

carpals_synonyms.JPG.127457bd45be237ab225b1a80b5c35e1.JPG 

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Jack . . . Whence did the ID of Hemiauchenia macrocephala arise?  How do you distinguish between the two common lamine camelids, Paleolama and Hemiauchenia, even assigning a trivial name to the find!?  Are you relying on other fossils you find in the Peace River float?  Biochronology is unreliable when dealing with unassociated fossils from the float.  Carpals and tarsals have always been a challenge.

Harry,

Thank you. You always provide value..

I am rushed... going out today. Messed us ... Finally sent an email on this to Richard Hulbert last night...

The ID came from Frank Kocsis,  Will read your response tonight.

IMG_4378.thumb.JPEG.5ba56b9b9055118afa4bb6a81af10f8d.JPEGIMG_4379.thumb.JPEG.aa9efffdb7b063d6e961085f092fc552.JPEG

I am back from hunting the same location.  Curious, for a fossil that I had never seen previously,  I found a 2nd larger one.

Note that my keywords for this thread indicate Pliocene and Blancan. These were not found in the Peace River. IMG_4380.thumb.JPEG.343a10854ca92063285c3af0be53dc9a.JPEG

Fortunately , Richard Hulbert responded on a request for Identification.

This is the carpal bone that biologists and paleontologists that study mammals call the lunar. The same bone in humans is called the lunate. It gets its name because in humans and other primates it has a crescent shaped, sort of like the section of an orange. But its shape in other mammals can be quite different. And this example is definitely from a member of the Camelidae by its anatomy, and if it is Blancan age, then Hemiauchenia is by far the most common type found in Florida. There have been a few somewhat iffy records of Palaeolama from the very late Blancan, but it generally does not show up in numbers until the Irvingtonian.

The reason for the variation in naming goes back centuries in the history of science and medicine. For some reason, those studying human anatomy came up with one set a names for carpal and tarsal bones, those studying animals a different set of names, and finally veterinarians came up with a third. Sometimes different terms for the same bone are used between herpetologists and mammalogists. Some of the names for particular names are the same or similar, some completely different. Intermediate carpal bone (or intermedium) is the term used by vets.

Richard

I can not say enough about Richard.  He is a resource  on Florida fossil who has assisted me over and over again, including Identifying numerous Blancan species at this site.  I will identify this fossil as a Blancan age Hemiauchenia .sp Lunar.

I am really surprised that it took 13 years for me to find my 1st Camelidae lunar, and then 9 days to find my 2nd.

Finding new fossils is always a thrilling experience. I will be able to identify the 3rd one I find.   Jack

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here are a couple of lunars from the Peace River:

It seems as if those from the Peace River are larger. I will attempt to find other photos of Florida Camel lunars.

IMG_4381aT.thumb.jpg.7c1ce920ee339299fa31fc8e3cf8a2b3.jpg