How to find your own fossil collecting sites

hadrosauridae

Good morning, and welcome to another Fossil Friday! Its been a while, but I have a new video up, this one is aimed at the beginners. Offering up some advice on where and how to begin finding their own fossil collecting sites.

Now, I would like some feedback on this from anyone already familiar with finding their sites. I am already planning a re-make because I can't believe I forgot to include using geologic maps in my tips! If I forgot that, I'm sure there are some other great tips that would make a great inclusion when I redo this in the future.

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Nice job.  I think you should emphasize that just cuz a site is listed in fossilspot.com that does not give a person permission to go there.  I look at the Wyoming listing and so much of it is listing fossil vertebrates on BLM land... no collecting allowed.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Nice job.  I think you should emphasize that just cuz a site is listed in fossilspot.com that does not give a person permission to go there.  I look at the Wyoming listing and so much of it is listing fossil vertebrates on BLM land... no collecting allowed.

Good point!  I'll add that into my notes!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I like what you said about what you need in your pack though I always bring my geology hammer.  I also bring a couple of small plastic containers and toilet paper for keeping and wrapping small specimens I might find (and those times when you might need to go #2).  In my car I bring a case of bottled water and some food (energy bars, Pop-tarts, stuff that can sit in a car) in case I get stuck out there.  I also use that big plastic bag the bottled water comes in.  I put that in the pack as a cushion inside in case I fall backward on it or if I need a cushion to sit on when there's nothing but rocks around.

Also, I don't just use the web.  I go to the library.  If you're lucky to be near a USGS library, that place is a gold mine.  There was one about 30-45 minutes from me but the government in all its wisdom closed it.  If a state School of Mines or a university with a paleo program is nearby, check that out for information resources.  And yes, run searches on the Fossil Forum itself.  This site has been around since 2007 and has had a lot of people talk about where they've hunted.

Don't get discouraged if you go somewhere known for fossils and you don't find anything.  Many times you won't especially when you're prospecting.

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

I like what you said about what you need in your pack though I always bring my geology hammer.  I also bring a couple of small plastic containers and toilet paper for keeping and wrapping small specimens I might find (and those times when you might need to go #2).  In my car I bring a case of bottled water and some food (energy bars, Pop-tarts, stuff that can sit in a car) in case I get stuck out there.  I also use that big plastic bag the bottled water comes in.  I put that in the pack as a cushion inside in case I fall backward on it or if I need a cushion to sit on when there's nothing but rocks around.

Also, I don't just use the web.  I go to the library.  If you're lucky to be near a USGS library, that place is a gold mine.  There was one about 30-45 minutes from me but the government in all its wisdom closed it.  If a state School of Mines or a university with a paleo program is nearby, check that out for information resources.  And yes, run searches on the Fossil Forum itself.  This site has been around since 2007 and has had a lot of people talk about where they've hunted.

Don't get discouraged if you go somewhere known for fossils and you don't find anything.  Many times you won't especially when you're prospecting.

More great ideas, thank you!  You are 100% right about not getting discouraged.  All the "well known" places are also well hunted!