Calvert Cliffs Area opinions and best areas to look

Skidush

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to the Chesapeake and Calvert cliffs area for a few weeks from now and I was wondering i any more experienced hunters have some biases towards which areas and access locations they like best. I've previously been to the Matoaka Cabins and Calvert Cliffs State Park, both of which yielded similar finds with nothing big, although I found the access to the cliff bases at Matoaka more favorable. I'd also love to find a canoe rental in the area to boat about and stop at exposed beach areas to hunt before heading further along the stretch, although general advice and spot tips from people with more experience than I would be greatly appreciated.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:05 AM, Skidush said:

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to the Chesapeake and Calvert cliffs area for a few weeks from now and I was wondering i any more experienced hunters have some biases towards which areas and access locations they like best. I've previously been to the Matoaka Cabins and Calvert Cliffs State Park, both of which yielded similar finds with nothing big, although I found the access to the cliff bases at Matoaka more favorable. I'd also love to find a canoe rental in the area to boat about and stop at exposed beach areas to hunt before heading further along the stretch, although general advice and spot tips from people with more experience than I would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest "Brownie's Beach" (Bayfront Park) in Chesapeake Bech, MD.  It's about a half mile south of town. Abundant small teeth can be found, esp an unusual number of threshers and hammerheads. I have found seal material there, Mola fish jaws, abundant "makos" in the 1.5" range, and a reasonable number of cow sharks.  You can collect along the water line, high tide line, the shallows, or cliff fall---though don't get too close to the cliffsGoing at low to mid tide is a must. I recommend visiting on the coldest day you can stand so as to keep the competition to a minimum. Also watch the weather. If the wind is blowing from the west, you could have issues with waves.

There are also locations on the eastern

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

7 hours ago, Castle Rock said:

What a "wonderful" way to WELCOME visitors to Chesapeake Beach!!

The small town beach was inundated with people from nearby cities, making it impossible for locals to enjoy their own beach.

It is a very small beach, with limited parking. Understandable that they would want to use their own town's beach, rather than let out of towners enjoy it.

The town is perfectly within their rights to limit access during a pandemic.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

18 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Brownies beach is still closed to non-residents of Chesapeake Beach per their website. :shakehead: https://www.chesapeakebeachmd.gov/enjoying-chesapeake-beach/pages/bayfront-park-aka-brownies-beach-closed-public

well it has been 15 years...  lol

Very sad to hear it

George Santayana

there are also sites along the Potomac River to the west if you''re willing to drive another 1-1.5 hrs

Edited by hemipristis

George Santayana

4 hours ago, hemipristis said:

well it has been 15 years...  lol

Very sad to hear it

Yes it is sad, it was a good place to take the kids.  They could find teeth and play on the beach.  

• I Agree 1

Purse state park in southern md is open to the public for fossil hunting  check the tide table before you go  there is no beach at high tide.

small shark teeth are very abundant 

• 5 months later...

Well Darn!  I just purchased a flight to go check out Calvert Cliffs, specifically Brownie beach.  Being from CA, there used to be a lot of fighting over "Locals Only" beaches, which is not right.  They are public beaches, so anyone should be welcome.  Yes, it can get congested, but again, it's a public beach, so anyone should be able to enjoy them.

That being said, I need to do more research.  I did a lot before I booked the flight, but I didn't see this, which is very disappointing.

I only have 2 full days in MD, then visiting my Dad who can't get around these days in PA, which is the main focus of this trip.  Just thought I could do some great searching for two days before hand.  I'll be there in early October.

There's been a lot of permanent closures around Sharktooth Hill.  The East Quarry at Ernst Quarry is closed.  I contacted the Buena Vista Natural History Museum to see when they will be doing their annual public dig on the actual Sharktooth Hill site and they said that site is completely closed to the public now.

Typing this makes me sad.  I wish I started looking for teeth years earlier, but better now than never.

Edited by Toothie

1 hour ago, Toothie said:

Well Darn!  I just purchased a flight to go check out Calvert Cliffs, specifically Brownie beach.  Being from CA, there used to be a lot of fighting over "Locals Only" beaches, which is not right.  They are public beaches, so anyone should be welcome.  Yes, it can get congested, but again, it's a public beach, so anyone should be able to enjoy them.

That being said, I need to do more research.  I did a lot before I booked the flight, but I didn't see this, which is very disappointing.

I only have 2 full days in MD, then visiting my Dad who can't get around these days in PA, which is the main focus of this trip.  Just thought I could do some great searching for two days before hand.  I'll be there in early October.

There's been a lot of permanent closures around Sharktooth Hill due to insurance reasons.  The East Quarry at Ernst Quarry is closed, because his insurance dropped him (just at that location), due to the recent death near the area - landslide (NOT on his property).  I contacted the Buena Vista Natural History Museum to see when they will be doing their annual public dig on the actual Sharktooth Hill site and they said that site is completely closed to the public now, due to insurance reasons.

Typing this makes me sad.  I wish I started looking for teeth years earlier, but better now than never.

I believe that landslide you referred to actually involved one of the Fossil Forum's very own. https://calcoasttimes.com/2020/04/28/paso-robles-man-dies-in-rockslide-near-bakersfield/

Its very real and still a raw wound for many here. Please pay attention to any advisories on health and safety. 

Edited by Crusty_Crab

6 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

I believe that landslide you referred to actually involved one of the Fossil Forum's very own. https://calcoasttimes.com/2020/04/28/paso-robles-man-dies-in-rockslide-near-bakersfield/

Its very real and still a raw wound for many here. Please pay attention to any advisories on health and safety. 

I apologize.  I never meant to bring up any wounds.  Yes, of course, definitely stay safe.  My only point was that a lot of places are closing.  Sharktooth Hill is the closest one to me and now that I planned a trip to Calvert Cliffs and Brownie Beach is closed...  I found it alarming that so many places are closing and I am really bummed that I finally planned a trip there and it's closed.  Stay Safe Everyone!

1 hour ago, Toothie said:

I apologize.  I never meant to bring up any wounds.  Yes, of course, definitely stay safe.  My only point was that a lot of places are closing.  Sharktooth Hill is the closest one to me and now that I planned a trip to Calvert Cliffs and Brownie Beach is closed...  I found it alarming that so many places are closing and I am really bummed that I finally planned a trip there and it's closed.  Stay Safe Everyone!

No offense taken! This was more of a PSA to make sure that old lessons are not forgotten.